Wall treatments effective/necessary here?

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
Working on a new HT system in my main living space. Acoustically it will be nightmarish as it's an open floorplan with tall ceilings - think urban loft. There's no practical way to make it into an ideal theater space, but we will enjoy it nonetheless. I do wonder if I should put some acoustic treatment on the two side walls of the nook where the equipment/speakers will reside. The business end of the speakers (JBL Studio 590) and the subs (SVS PB-2000 Pro) should extend slightly beyond these side walls (only about 17" deep), so I'm wondering if reflected sound will even be an issue. Should I put some acoustic paneling on the walls indicated with the red arrows or would that be a pointless exercise? Thanks in advance.
Image 12-8-21 at 2.18 PM.jpeg

N

NoD~

Audiophyte
In my experience, if it's not a first reflection point, it's unlikely any audible difference. Now, you can try and bass trap those upper halves to give you a bit flatter low end, but even that would unlikely be worth it.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Working on a new HT system in my main living space. Acoustically it will be nightmarish as it's an open floorplan with tall ceilings - think urban loft. There's no practical way to make it into an ideal theater space, but we will enjoy it nonetheless. I do wonder if I should put some acoustic treatment on the two side walls of the nook where the equipment/speakers will reside. The business end of the speakers (JBL Studio 590) and the subs (SVS PB-2000 Pro) should extend slightly beyond these side walls (only about 17" deep), so I'm wondering if reflected sound will even be an issue. Should I put some acoustic paneling on the walls indicated with the red arrows or would that be a pointless exercise? Thanks in advance.View attachment 52108
What's the distance between the speakers/front wall on the picture? the distance from the backwall/seating position? If you are not into DIY, you could setup a couple of the GIK244 2ftby4ft (5.25 inch thick) floor standing absorption panels on the floor behind the speakers to address SBIR issues. Don't bother with higher up on the wall. They need to be right around where your JBL's woofers are.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/
Your subs, if you have relatively more freedom of placement and are not constrained to that one position next to the speakers for aesthetics can be used to tackle some room modes. It can negate the need for large volumes of other low WAF bass traps (to be effective), all over the place.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Try with what you have, using auto speaker calibration, from your AVR. It may just be okay. You can always come back with treatments.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis