K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Wanted to ask those who understand bass better than I.

For my downstairs setup, my subwoofer is on a subdude to limit rattle. I have a wall across the room from the sub that when the bass gets pretty low (I assume its when it gets low?) the wall rattles and pictures rattle really distracting me from the movie. I have put some rubber pads on the back of the pictures but still get some rattle and frankly some of the rattle might be coming from inside the wall.

My question is this normal and not much that can be done when bass gets to a certain level?

Or is this a result of distortion and a better sub would help? Maybe a high quality sealed sub make a difference? I don't know.

Frankly, if this is an issue with the sub I have, a more powerful sub might just accentuate the problem meaning I wouldn't get to see the value of the improvement as I'd have to keep the level down to avoid the annoying wall rattling or I'd have to invest big money to adjust at the wall for some reason. (Or maybe there are better pads I can put behind the amazing amount of pictures my wife has on the wall)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks as always

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A pad to deaden the physical transference of energy does nothing for the emitted soundwaves. LF Soundwaves are powerful things. It could also be a sympathetic vibration to a specific frequency, too.

What is the sub?

There is always the possibility that there is distorted output, and in my experience distortion comes in the form of more weird rattling and unusually audible bass frequencies. A sub performing well within its parameters can still cause things to rattle like a MFer, but that is because of sheer output. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If it’s the Sheetrock, try adding a couple screws in the section that’s rattling. 5 bucks for joint compound and hopefully you still have some leftover paint. Done. Maybe...lol

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Auralex Subdude

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I don't think it's the sub, it's the room construction and/or decorations.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks all. I think you are right.

It’s a Klipsch R115SW and it only happens at certain frequencies.

i have a rythmik f15hp upstairs that I would try in its place but the thought of carrying it down then back upstairs is not appealing.

I am thinking of upgrading that sub but I’m not sure that would solve this particular issue.

I will try to isolate the sheetrock as you recommend and see if I can hooefully find where It starts. good Idea especially if the screw could go behind one of the pictures I mentioned

regarding the pictures, I’m using things like this

Anyone used anything better?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use museum putty/blu tac type stuff to stop rattling in various areas, like behind pictures, underneath things on shelves....or speakers on stands. I'd put on some very bassy content and walk around the room and really analyze where the extraneous noise is coming from before deciding how to attack it....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Something you can try is to get some test tones that you can play through your system. you should be able to identify the frequency easily enough. :) Once you get it, you can walk along the wall with a post it pad and mark everything that rattles. :)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Good ideas, I can tell you trying to rewind the movie to the exact spot It rattles continuously is annoying. Test tone at a certain volume might work great.

I’ll try the Blue tack Too. I do think some of it is inside the wall which is interesting and hard to solve. Maybe the screw idea will work. My wife will especially like that one

it only happens too with certain frequencies so it’s kind of few and far between but annoying and doesn’t let me maximize the use of my sub.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
it only happens too with certain frequencies so it’s kind of few and far between but annoying and doesn’t let me maximize the use of my sub.
How loud are you listening? Distance from Sub to the area affected? What are the settings for Sub level in the AVR and Gain on the Sub itself?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would try some drywall screws and putty all around that region as previously suggested. Cheapest fix I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis