KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The "Why do audiophiles hate Bose video goes off on a tangent about clock radios at one point.
However, it begs a relevant question:
"How do I wake to music in 2018/2019?"

Back in the day, all CD (and cassette) players had a timer option for starting to play, so I could take a $20 RatShack (RIP) timer (with controlled AC outlet) and my whole system would come on in full glory at the set time.

Is this lost technology?
Surely there is a better and easier way today!?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Can't you just tell Alexa to do it? I've never tried. I always hate waking up to anything, so I've always used an alarm. Soothing music may not even wake me, so forget that. Screeching alarms have ruled my life.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can't you just tell Alexa to do it? I've never tried. I always hate waking up to anything, so I've always used an alarm. Soothing music may not even wake me, so forget that. Screeching alarms have ruled my life.
I hadn't checked recently, but you are right, they finally added that capability to the Echo (I got to believe it was one of the most requested features when the Echo was introduced)!
Here is a pretty good article (from August 2018) on this for anyone else wanting to know:
https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/how-to-use-alexa-alarm-clock-bedtime-music-467

I don't know when they added this capability, but previously the only option going was for you to record "Alexa play music" onto your phone and use it as your alarm sound so that your phone is essentially telling Echo to play music at the set time! That seemed pretty Mickey Mouse for a "smart speaker".

I still don't have the ideal which would be to have my full system turn on at a prescribed time followed by playing music over it. But I can live with the Echo hooked to a decent powered speaker that will wake upon signal.

Thanks for the response!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I remember using the old kitchen timer... with an outlet built-in... plugging my boom-box with cassette "set-to-play" into it, just to wake me up!

Martin Barr's first riff into Aqualung was a great alarm clock...

If not a little clumsy...

But then I'm reminded of this:

Cheers, Kew! ;)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I not used a clock radio now for maybe three and half decades. To hear music in the morning with news is worst ear rape kind. I won't be using my echo-dot. I may let the cats play with it as it has that colour effect that circles around on it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When my alarm goes off it plays 6060-842 by the B-52s. That'll wake ya up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis