VSX-1016...a good stop-gap measure?

M

modman

Audioholic
I currently have an old Marantz SR7000 receiver, being used as a pre for my 5-channel Marantz amp. I have truly enjoyed this musical combination for many years. But now it's time for a change. I have been looking at receivers/pre's -- I must have HDMI or DVI switching, I'd really like to have upscaling, and it would be nice to have a USB port and XM capability. On the fringe...good EQ/room correction is a plus.

My budget, I might add, is not as good as I'd like, seeing that I have upgraded my speakers, display, and DVD player in the last year.

So here's the deal....I have been looking at the Outlaw 990, the Outlaw 970, the Yammy 2600, and -- most recently, with great salivation -- the Pioneer 84TXSi. The Pioneer unit seems perfect-- but am I really ready to drop $1500 on a receiver, during what seems to be a time of great change in receiver technology? And now here comes the Pioneer VSX-1016, which, for $500, has almost everything I want except upscaling. Does it not make sense to go with the cost-effective measure until the dust settles? Will the dust ever settle?

Comments welcome.

And..does anyone know when the 1016 will actually be in stores in the US?

Thanks.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
I would get the receiver if want to do so. Waiting around for new technology to appear is quite a frustrating thing to do. I'm guessing your speaking about Dolby Digital Plus and the new DTS formats?

I had a look at the VSX-1016 and it appears to be good value. The EQ does look very basic though. It's hard to believe such an inexpensive unit would have bi-amplification. I know that bi-amplification is used professionally, but I'm not sure whether the performance of this integrated power amp would be equivalent to a separates/power amp set up. Compared to your existing set up, the main benefit is probably the HDMI switching and digital video converter. I'm not sure how well digital video converters perform in general. Forum member BMXTRIX is the expert here.

Edit: The bi-amplification would have the benefit of bypassing the passive crossover network of your speakers. I'm still confused as to how the receiver would apply an active crossover network.

Last edited:
B

BTT917

Audioholic Intern
Note that the 1016 cannot process audio of any kind through its HDMI inputs. It simply acts as a video switcher.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
VSX-1016TXV does process audio through inputs

The VSX-1016TXV does process audio through inputs! Page 11 and 41 of the manual clearly states that it does on the inputs, but will not pass the audio through to the output.

I plan on buying this unit as soon as my local shop has one in stock. I'll pass on what I find out then, but I'm betting on what the manual states.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Taifun said:
The VSX-1016TXV does process audio through inputs! Page 11 and 41 of the manual clearly states that it does on the inputs, but will not pass the audio through to the output.

I plan on buying this unit as soon as my local shop has one in stock. I'll pass on what I find out then, but I'm betting on what the manual states.
Wait a sec, so if I plug my HDMI upconverting player into the 1016's HDMI input, and run a component cable out to my tv, I should hear 5.1 DTS through my speakers while seeing the picture on my tv?

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
That I don't know. I checked the manual and it does not mention that it can... I'll try when I get mine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis