Vote this blind speaker choice, please.

S

Shezzy in SJ

Audiophyte
Regarding in-ceiling speakers. Two pair going in a 25 x 21 foot "great room."

I'm going to describe three speakers that I've narrowed down, without giving their brands. I'll give you their specs straight off the manufacturer's listing. Will you give me your call on your pick, and why? If these are really just splitting hairs, tell me that, too.

#1. Woofer: 8” Kevlar Cone
. Tweeter: Pivoting 1” aluminum dome
. Power handling: 175W
. Frequency Response 28Hz - 22kHz
. Sensitivity 92db
. Contour Switches: +3dB Bass and +3dB Treble
. Impedance: 8 ohms

#2 1” Teterone dome tweeter with neodymium magnet and swivel capability.
Poly-switch protection circuit on tweeter and midrange.
8” woofer has a single piece composite cone with real rubber surround
for stability and long life.
Crossover - FR4 board with 6dB for the woofer, 12dB for the midrange,
and 12dB for the tweeter.
Gold terminal posts are spring loaded, can hold 14 AWG wire.
135 watts
30 - 22kHz

#3 # 150 watts max power handling
# 10" “TRC” titanium anodized injection molded radiative cone technology
woofer with rubber surround
# 3 1/2 " titanium anodized injection molded cone midrange with rubber
surround
# Pivoting liquid-cooled 1" tweeter with titanium dome diaphragm
# Switches for midrange and tweeter level adjustment
# 28Hz–22kHz
# Sensitivity: 90 dB

Basically, is Kevlar worth pursuing on a 2-way, versus the other 3-way non-Kevlar options?

I'll reveal the brands if you think that brings something particular into the mix. I just didn't want to highlight people's brand loyalties, and just stick with the specs.

THANKS!
Sherry :p :p :p :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With a well designed x-over, 2way vs 3way shouldn't matter.

#2 is Athena? They are the only ones I've seen use that tweeter material so far. I recently auditioned a pair of AS-B1s in my 2ch setup. Excellent midrange, but the tweeter was what I didn't quite like. Vocals are clear and solid, bass was very respectable. The highs were bright for a non-metal tweeter, almost harsh or sybilant with a brighter recording, but not offensive. For the price, the b1s were quite impressive. I haven't heard anything else at the current price point ($99/pr) that sounds that good.

The Kevlar B&Ws I've heard sound fast and tight. It's a great material, but not if it costs a lot more than another speaker that already sounds good to you. Have you heard any of these guys?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Based on specs, they all look great but how do they sound? That should be the major deciding factor. If they are products of good, quality manufacturers then let your ear decide.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
AVRat said:
Based on specs, they all look great but how do they sound? That should be the major deciding factor. If they are products of good, quality manufacturers then let your ear decide.
AVRat is right on- let your ears decide. Construction specs are nice but don't describe sound at all and so are pretty close to meaningless. Frequency response, off and on-axis, and distortion plots are a step closer, but still not there.

I've seen forums where people debate endlessly the material of construction in a speaker. I'm an engineer and so I can appreciate that, but the proof is all in the way it sounds to YOUR ear (for the price).

Happy hunting-

~Josh

S

Shezzy in SJ

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, for your reply.

The truth is that these are speakers that I've only "seen" on the internet. They're not in the running over a local speaker, but they are not out of the loop, either. I've yet to receive any good customer service, locally, and want to keep ALL my options open. The internet choices do have a thirty day return policy - if it comes to that.

I would love to listen to some speakers locally at a store with good customer service.

So far have heard some B & Ws at a store with an enthusiastic sales guy, but who would not consider selling me anything less than the B & Ws, even though he had SpeakerCraft in the wall right next to him. He was that bullish that I felt rolled over by a steam roller.

Have heard some NHTs at a local store whose sales guys looked bored to death. Apparently, in wall/ceiling speakers aren't what's getting these guys up in the morning. It took them twenty minutes to get a pair up and going for me to listen to them, and when I asked questions they looked at each other when answering me. Dear Husband says that smart + foxy = intimidating - but then he's paid to say that. ;-)

Have heard some Niles, but again it took twenty minutes and two sales boys to get it up and running, and again they only looked at each other when answering my questions, and one looked even pained that he was there at all, especially when I had to correct something he tried to sell me on.

Went to a fourth store and "the speaker guy" wasn't there, and the sales guy and store manager gave me nothing but vagueness.

So far I like the B & Ws the best, but they are $600/pr (for the 8"s) and I would like to stop the bleeding and get a speaker pair closer to $250/$300, for now.

Again, none of the ones on the blind vote are the ones that I've listened to. Hopefully I'll find some other stores to go to. But, in the meantime, I had wanted to know what you all thought of the three I posted above. One is NXG, one is AdvTech and one is PRS/ProAcoustics. Not any BIG names, that's why I wanted to know if not knowing their brands mattered.

Keep the help coming!
THANKS
Sherry.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Aaah, the challenges with the direct internet speaker companies. Wonderful reviews, seemingly wonderful pricing, no place to judge for yourself.

The only one I've found that refunds two-way shipping as well is Aperion Audio. I'm planning on picking up a set and if I don't like, I'll send it back.

Other than that, most have a very generous refund policy, but will not refund shipping, which can put you out $50-150 depending on the size and how many you order. That's a bummer on a budget!

I have had some luck going on their forums and asking for a local owner who would be willing to give me an audition in their home. I live in a major metro area so that works for me. In San Jose I would imagine you probably can work out a deal like that as well. And most people are very accomodating - its fun showing off your gear!

Good luck!

~Josh

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Sad state of affairs

It really is sad that the in-wall/ceiling consumer is treated as second rate. Retailers just don't put forth the same effort for these products. But we must persevere. As you've probably noticed, few members here want to approach the subject but it continues to come up.

B&W does offer the CCM-618 which should retail for $300 or less.
Speakercrafts are nice but they start over $400. Smarthome.com
Niles are good, but again budget to performance may be an issue.
Paradigm CS80Rs should go for under $300. Bay Area Audio may sell them.
Def Techs UIW-63 ($229) or UIW-64 ($349) are excellent. Check Magnolia Hi-fi (try for 10% discount)
I continue to recommend Polks for their good price/quality. The TC610i and RC80i available at jr.com should fit your budget nicely.
Energy EAS series would work. Should be available at Good Guys.
Hope all this helps! :D :eek:

Since you are not going to be pushing a lot of power, lower power rated speakers will work fine. I have no problem getting 75-80 dB SPL from my Paradigm CS60Rs rated at 80W. BTW, how high are your ceilings?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Don't overdo it on inwalls

The problem I have with in-walls is the lack of bass, and the issue of high mounting (above ear level). Any of the speaekers you are looking at are fine for sound reproduction, but that reproduction is limited by the placement. I would highly recommend a directional tweeter, and preferably a three way design. You don't need to go with an 8" or 10" woofer. You'll never realize the bass. A subwoofer is a must with in-walls. A Def Tech Supercube is the perfect addition if size is an issue.

You're budget is right on the money. There's no reason to spend that much on an in-wall in the sizes you've listed. Even this VI-38 will hold it's on to anything listed with the proper processor and installation.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90051555&SearchEngine=ya&SearchTerm=90051555&Type=PI&Category=Electronics&dcaid=17194

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis