Vote for the Best Written SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer Review

Vote for the best SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer Review(er)!

• dracullus Review

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • kleinwl Review

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • aarons915 Review

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • anthonywoy Review

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • charlesm Review

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
10 lucky contestants were given the opportunity to write reviews on two brand new SVS subwoofers. Five wrote reviews on the SVS SB-1000 sub, and the other five wrote reviews of the PB-1000 sub.

Well the reviews are IN!

Vote for your favorite (best-written, most thorough, schnazziest, etc) review in the poll above and make any comments to substantiate your vote (and perhaps sway others) in this thread.

Here are links to the reviews, in the same order as the poll above:

SB-1000 Reviews

Enjoy and let the best review(er) win!

Be sure to get your votes in by 8:35PM February 13th. Also we encourage you to provide comments in this thread as to what lead you to your selection. Thanks for your participation!

- The Audioholics Forum Team

SB_1000_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
My feedback on the reviews:

- Dracullus: overall, a very good review, but you need to remove at least half the pictures and videos (if the camera's mic can't handle the low frequencies, the video isn't helpful).
- kleinwl: I liked all the spec-y stuff, but was let down by the brevity of your review of how it sounded.
- not a bad review, just a little thin.
- Anthony: you got my vote for two reasons: first, I liked your demo song / scene discussions best, and I liked your bonus feature because you used DVD-Blu Ray terminology for its title, and because I didn't feel that the shoot out overwhelmed your main review. While I can do nothing but praise SVS for their generosity in this event, I liked that your review felt like it wasn't coming from a fan-boy.
- Charles: while I liked your review, I would have liked some demo song or scene discussions to give your review some context.

l0gikal1

l0gikal1

Audiophyte
Cwall- I actually think the whole point of this review was to show every aspect of how the subwoofer works. The more pictures and visuals the better! Votes should be based on who you feel put the most effort into this.

- Dracullus: overall, a very good review, but you need to remove at least half the pictures and videos (if the camera's mic can't handle the low frequencies, the video isn't helpful).
- kleinwl: I liked all the spec-y stuff, but was let down by the brevity of your review of how it sounded.
- Anthony: you got my vote for two reasons: first, I liked your demo song / scene discussions best, and I liked your bonus feature because you used DVD-Blu Ray terminology for its title, and because I didn't feel that the shoot out overwhelmed your main review. While I can do nothing but praise SVS for their generosity in this event, I liked that your review felt like it wasn't coming from a fan-boy.
- Charles: while I liked your review, I would have liked some demo song or scene discussions to give your review some context.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Well if static images helped me get a feel for how it sounded, I might be inclined to agree with you.

Who appeared to put the most effort into a review is, when you think about it, a silly criterion for selecting a winner. Is it well-written? That makes more sense.

Is it concise and to the point? Another criterion that would make more sense than whose review had the most pictures or the most video clips.

But what I used as my criteria were whether I felt I had a sense for how it might pair up with my system and how well the reviewer felt it performed.

Dracullus could have won my vote as he did these things, but he needed an editor to help him trim out the unnecessary bits.

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
Dracullus could have won my vote as he did these things, but he needed an editor to help him trim out the unnecessary bits.
I know my review won't please everyone so I'm not butt-hurt. Each of the ten reviews had its own "style" which made them unique in their own ways, and that was my style. I wouldn't change a thing even if i had to do it all over again. I've read each SB-1000/PB-1000 review myself and I enjoyed them all for their own unique styles and tone. These reviews are written by amateurs; we're not professional reviewers from a magazine or an online editorial. Not sure why I need an editor though.. because I put something in there that you felt I had too much of or didn't like or thought should belong in there? Do you go over to people's houses and tell them to change their furniture or paintings on their walls because you didn't like it or think it's too much or unnecessary? :confused: I'm being serious and I'm not trying to be rude.

- Dracullus: overall, a very good review, but you need to remove at least half the pictures and videos (if the camera's mic can't handle the low frequencies, the video isn't helpful) *dracullus edit* yes it is, see my reply below
- kleinwl: I liked all the spec-y ? stuff, but was let down by the brevity of your review of how it sounded.
- Anthony:you got my vote for two reasons:first, I liked your demo song / scene discussions best, and I liked your bonus feature because you used DVD-Blu Ray terminology for its title, and because I didn't feel that the shoot out overwhelmed your main review. While I can do nothing but praise SVS for their generosity in this event, I liked that your review felt like it wasn't coming from a fan-boy.
My review was not for people with short attention spans (I said in the beginning it would be long) and it was not written to read like the back of a DVD box. I wanted to be thorough, detailed, and give the reader a good perspective of the sub without making it sound too "spec-y." l0gikal was right when he said my review was meant to show the reader as much as i could. I wanted to let the reader decide what they thought about about the sub, with the least amount of bias and input from me. And I did that by offering as much evidence (photos and videos) to the reader as I could.

Cwall missed a few obvious points in my review that I'd like to point out in case anyone else gets confused by his post.
The purpose of the photos were to show the sub's build quality and aesthetics in detail, and how the sub might appear in a computer 2.1 setup or fit under a desk etc... My movie screen-captures were shots of the scenes that I was reviewing, and the initial photos were to grab the readers attention, because like I said at the beginning, "it will be a long review," I didn't want to lose readers after the first few sentences! Who want's that, right? .. I actually got some pretty good feedback from other users whom wanted to see more photos, so go figure.

The videos were meant to show the sub-woofer driver excursion at different power/volume levels, hence the titles in the videos (stating the amount of gain / volume for that particular video) and to help demonstrate the driver response & accuracy and how fast/slow the sub might react to the different movie scenes. That's why I had the movie scenes playing in the background and the sub in the foreground. My purpose was NOT to demonstrate sound quality/output of the sub, because obviously computer speakers + compressed youtube video/audio will not reproduce the same sub-woofer volume/bass output to your computer speaker setup and out to your ears, that the SB-1000 was able to produce in real life. cwall, I know you were disappointed by the distortion but please don't tell me you put your ears next to your computer speakers to try to hear what bass frequencies the sub in the videos produced, hehe ;)

*If you don't care about the build quality of the sub or don't care about it's appearance, or don't care to visualize what movie scenes I'm talking about when you read my review... EASY... scroll down and skip past the photos..
*If you don't care to see for yourself how this sub performs when it comes to music and movies and don't care about it's excursion capabilities or are not interested in how fast/accurate it may or may not be when it comes to movies bass/explosions etc.... EASY... scroll down and skip past the videos :)

Better to have more and not need it than to have less and be left wanting more. And believe me, what I posted was my trimmed-down review because when I finished writing it, it was twice as long as my post with many more movies, music and photos/videos. I just didn't want to drag it on and bore people and make it uber long..

Well if static images helped me get a feel for how it sounded, I might be inclined to agree with you.
You're missing the point again. I have yet to find a professional or even amateur written/online review that can accurately portray or make me get a feel for what that piece of audio equipment sounds like in real life and then make me say to myself, "oh I know exactly how that's going to sound after reading that, or looking at that photo." It's a review, it's someones opinion, everyone has their own opinion, just like a everyone has a... well you know the saying..

Sorry for the long reply and possible grammar errors/run-ons etc, I just got home from working a long shift and it's 2:50 AM where I live..
If anyone knows a good editor to trim out the unnecessary bits, please let me know. ;)

Hope that answered most of the Q's and cleared up some confusion. If anyone has a Q related to my post or needs clarification, feel free to ask. I wont bite,, much..

-dracullus

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Cwall- I actually think the whole point of this review was to show every aspect of how the subwoofer works. The more pictures and visuals the better! Votes should be based on who you feel put the most effort into this.
Let's not get Effort and Results confused!!! The winner should be the person who had the best review, not necessarily the one who worked the hardest!!!

l0gikal1

l0gikal1

Audiophyte
Let's not get Effort and Results confused!!! The winner should be the person who had the best review, not necessarily the one who worked the hardest!!!
If I'm not mistaken doesn't the person who put the most effort and worked the hardest on his review necessarily produce the best results? I read through all the reviews and everyone seemed to try to produce an appealing review to the reader and not all were successful in doing so. Therefore I must conclude that outstanding effort produces excellent results! Am I wrong on this one too?:confused:

l0gikal1

l0gikal1

Audiophyte
Another thing I forgot to mention is... this is a contest folks, it's bound to be competitive. In my opinion I felt Dracullus had the best review, because he put in the most effort which made it a entertaining and thorough review.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If I'm not mistaken doesn't the person who put the most effort and worked the hardest on his review necessarily produce the best results? I read through all the reviews and everyone seemed to try to produce an appealing review to the reader and not all were successful in doing so. Therefore I must conclude that outstanding effort produces excellent results! Am I wrong on this one too?:confused:
In general yes you are correct!!! And I do not disagree, I liked Dracullus' also. I am just saying that we should vote on the Final Product, not on somebody's supposed efforts.

I liken to any task....somebody can work hard on somthing and still have a poor end result.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Congratulations to dracullus, winner of the SB-1000 Review contest for his excellent review of the SB-1000. A big thank you to all of the reviewers that took part in this contest to help make it a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis