Von Schweikert VR-2 Review!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000080'>The designers at Von Schweikert had some great goals in mind when creating the VR-2 Tower Speaker System. Just to name a few, phase correction in the crossover, full frequency range, and my favorite, transparency. In this respect, Von Schwiekert seemed to attain their design goals by producing an unobtrusive elegantly crafted loudspeaker system that sounds as good as it looks.

Von Schweikert VR-2 Review!</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Maybe I'm dense, but I read the review twice yet I'm not really certain if you liked them or not. &nbsp;You picked a lot of nits yet said positive things, too. &nbsp;Would you consider them a contender at their price range? &nbsp;And how do they compare to your long time references under $3K?</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Before I lucked into the Thiel's, I was seriously considering the Von Schweikert's- the VR 2's seem to have a lot to offer, especially if building up a multichannel system. &nbsp;There is no Von S dealer around me, so I was relying on the Web. &nbsp;It did look to me as if the new VR4 jr model at about $4K seemed to be the sweet spot for a two channel system. &nbsp;As you've been marching up their line, you might consider a review of these next, especially as you've taken a hard look at the VR2's, it would be nice to know if the 4jr's were worth the extra in your reviewer's opinion. &nbsp;

They also use a different build philosophy, in that they're dual module instead of single tower, and it'd be interesting to hear how that compares.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Greetings Rob,

As you can imagine, we did indeed have mixed emotions about the VR2s. &nbsp;We understand it's their entry level towers and are well constructed with a wonderful veneer cabinet. &nbsp;As for &quot;liking them&quot; we did indeed especially when considering the mass market speakers found in most local popular electronics stores. &nbsp;There are other speakers in this price range that may &quot;sound&quot; better, but consider that sound is somewhat in the ears of the beholder, and the system and room of which will play a major factor. &nbsp;

I believe we attempted to adequately cover this in our article. &nbsp;I'd definitely give the VR2s a look. &nbsp;I did like the rear ambiance tweeter and believe it really added to their performance. &nbsp;They also have excellent bass response when properly installed and set up. &nbsp;The bass is indeed tight, but admittedly, I didn't think they went all the way down to 25Hz with as much authority as we anticipated. &nbsp;But then again, not many speakers this size do.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Sadly I may never get the chance to audition them, living where I do. &nbsp;That's the only reason I asked. &nbsp;Your review was thorough, I just came away with the feeling you had mixed feelings about them. &nbsp;Most of the buzz about them has been good, and I really *want* to like them as they're about the top end of my budget (til I win the lottery! &nbsp;Any day now!
).

Have you heard the tower models in the Monitor Audio Gold Reference lineup? &nbsp;I recall you having good things to say about the GR10s. &nbsp;I'd think from a size/price standpoint the VR2's are in the exact same niche as the GR20's- can you compare the two speakers? &nbsp;I'm a big fan of MA and they're always on my short list when I can upgrade (I currently have MA's in my main HT rig).

Thanks, and keep cranking out the reviews!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis