Volume gone - Panasonic 50" Help!

E

Ears

Audiophyte
I have a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX75U. My brother gave me the new U2 360 concert disc.
Although I do not have the massive home theater he has, I still threw the disc in and played it on my plasma 50" loud.
I normally listened to the tv with the volume around 17-25 but the concert was good and I cranked up past 40 ...
Now, to listen to the tv at normal volume the tv has to be turned up to 40!? It seems I have triggered a breaker of sorts if not blew the speakers. Is that possible? Where did my volume go? The manual offers nothing. Any help to fix, please?
Thanks - Ed

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX75U. My brother gave me the new U2 360 concert disc.
Although I do not have the massive home theater he has, I still threw the disc in and played it on my plasma 50" loud.
I normally listened to the tv with the volume around 17-25 but the concert was good and I cranked up past 40 ...
Now, to listen to the tv at normal volume the tv has to be turned up to 40!? It seems I have triggered a breaker of sorts if not blew the speakers. Is that possible? Where did my volume go? The manual offers nothing. Any help to fix, please?
Thanks - Ed
TVs are low powered, they are not meant to be played loud. I suspect the speakers have thermal damage, or the amps are damaged.

This will require a trip to the service center.

You need a receiver and decent speakers at a minimum, if you want to do that.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Dude, if you have a brother who has a big home theater rig, shouldn't he be able to help you? Wouldn't he have warned you not to blow your speakers? Maybe he has some old speakers and a receiver he would let you have, and you could bypass the internal speakers. Tell your brother he's a tool and this is his fault, and make him pay up!!

E

Ears

Audiophyte
"bird," should it be gullonthebeach?
Anywho, why does a TV manufacturer make a volume that goes up to 50+ if the speakers will blow somewhere above 40?
At least the vuvuzelas are not so loud watching the World Cup!
I'll see what my Big Bro will do -
Thanks,
Ed

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
"bird," should it be gullonthebeach?
Anywho, why does a TV manufacturer make a volume that goes up to 50+ if the speakers will blow somewhere above 40?
At least the vuvuzelas are not so loud watching the World Cup!
I'll see what my Big Bro will do -
Thanks,
Ed
The problem is that there is a huge variation in the average level of program material. So if the manufacturer limited gain, they would have complaints of people not being able to ear certain programs.

Now blue ray disc has a huge dynamic range, especially a music BD.

The problem is that every time a section sounds twice as loud as another part the power to speakers increases 10 times.

Really TV speakers are for news and network programming.

Unless manufacturers are prepared to put on limiters, the effect of which a lot of people might object to, there is not answer, other than for the user manual not to play most music blue ray disc via TV speakers.

E

Ears

Audiophyte
Timing is everything I guess because along with the tv speaker issue, I have been disappointed about the HD quality for the last week or two on the tv. So, after the sound went out, I unplugged the cable box and exchanged it at the cable company. When I powered everything back up with a new cable box, the volume was back on the tv. Chalk another one up to the cable guys-
PS - I can not believe I did not try the U2 disk again later (or even a different disk) after I lost my sound.
Tks-Ed

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis