Volume Control Setting

mrgooch

mrgooch

Audioholic Intern
Is there a rule of thumb for the maximum safe setting with the volume control?
I kind of remember that most dials should not go past the 1:00 o'clock position.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
That rule of thumb was for older receivers with analog volume controls. Noon to 1 O'clock was the position where the receiver would be putting out its max power.

It's a bit different now. I don't know about your receiver, but mine doesn't have any indication on the volume knob that would allow you to set it at 1 O'clock (there is no mark or led on the knob). The volume knob is continuously variable. If you turn the volume knob so that the volume is high and then use the remote to turn the volume all the way back down, you can then turn the volume knob some more to get back to the prior level - it doesn't have an 'end point'.

A safe volume level is one where your ears can handle the level and the receiver is not working too hard and clipping. If the receiver has a volume scale of say -80 dB to +10 dB and you calibrate so that 0 dB is reference level, the amp will be nowhere near its max. Remember that the volume increase is logarithmic - moving the volume from -10 dB to -5dB will be a far larger increase in volume than moving from -50 dB to -45 dB (for example).

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
mrgooch said:
Is there a rule of thumb for the maximum safe setting with the volume control?
I kind of remember that most dials should not go past the 1:00 o'clock position.
There is no good rule of thumb for that, as output depends upon input level. Thus, turning the volume all the way up could be fine, depending on the source. It also depends on the speakers, as some can handle more power than others.

What you should do is this: Put on some music that is at basically a constant volume. Slowly turn up the volume until it starts to distort slightly, then turn it slightly down so that it no longer audibly distorts. That is the maximum safe volume for the system (though it may be too loud to be safe for your hearing). (Please note, this is the maximum safe volume for the system, not the maximum safe setting of the volume control. If, for example, your source were a CD that was not recorded at the maximum level, and then if you put in one that was, it would be louder with the same settings, and thus not be safe for your system. It is also worth noting that your choice of source should also contain as wide of a frequency range as possible, as systems typically cannot reproduce all frequencies at the same maximum level.)

With my system, it maintains "perfect" clarity as loud as I can stand it, so I have not bothered with finding out the limits of my system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis