Volume adjustment for external speakers

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
I'm not sure if this discussion belongs here or not, but I got an Emotiva 2-channel amp to power a couple of built-in speakers on either side of my wife's new TV. I was under the impression that if the TV's internal speakers were shut off that the volume control on the TV would adjust the signal going to the external amp and hence to the speakers. My 5 year old Panasonic does that. This top of the line Vizio does not apparently.
So, without spending a boat of money on a receiver with line-outs to an amplifier, can somebody recommend a simple volume control using RCA in/out? Preferably one that has a remote. Honestly I was going for simplicity and didn't want to get a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver just to power a couple of speakers. I liked the design and specs of the Emotiva and gave it a shot. I'm happy with it, just frustrated that this isn't standard on this TV...
Thanks in advance!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What model of Vizio do you have? I'll be happy to check the manual and see if anything stands out to me on how to do that. You've probably already looked, but a second set of eyes can't hurt.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
What model of Vizio do you have? I'll be happy to check the manual and see if anything stands out to me on how to do that. You've probably already looked, but a second set of eyes can't hurt.
It's the 505 XVT Plasma... I talked to a guy from Vizio already and he went through his own manual (which was exactly like mine) and tried having me go through the same stuff I went through myself. Honestly, why do they bother with "tech support" people if all they do is the most freakin' obvious things anyway?
I just wonder how dumb we're all supposed to be to get to the point where they're info (often taken from the same freakin resources that we look at ourselves) actually helps us.
At least when I call Apple for help, they actually employ tools and techniques that I don't have myself (along with a decent database of related info).
Sorry to vent... it is just really frustrating...
:(

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's the 505 XVT Plasma... I talked to a guy from Vizio already and he went through his own manual (which was exactly like mine) and tried having me go through the same stuff I went through myself. Honestly, why do they bother with "tech support" people if all they do is the most freakin' obvious things anyway?
I just wonder how dumb we're all supposed to be to get to the point where they're info (often taken from the same freakin resources that we look at ourselves) actually helps us.
At least when I call Apple for help, they actually employ tools and techniques that I don't have myself (along with a decent database of related info).
Sorry to vent... it is just really frustrating...
:(
You have no idea how many problem are plug in related or something stupid like that?

If you did you would change your mind. Besides most technology and computer problems result from simple issues. Easily fixed. But difficult to notice in the complexity of the problem.

I'm hoping your issue is similar. So we can fix it.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
You have no idea how many problem are plug in related or something stupid like that?

If you did you would change your mind. Besides most technology and computer problems result from simple issues. Easily fixed. But difficult to notice in the complexity of the problem.

I'm hoping your issue is similar. So we can fix it.
Well, I know about that... a long time ago I worked as tech support for an ISP, but back then, even though we worked to establish a baseline for the customer's operations (i.e. is the computer plugged in and on, phone cable plugged in, etc.), we had more tools at our disposal to diagnose issues.

The vent (or rant :) ) above is due to the fact that the guy on the other end of the phone has the same manual as I do. So, how do they expect to provide any perceived benefit?

If I took my truck into the dealership for maintenance and I saw the mechanic looking up parts, procedures and "how-to" instructions on google for fixing the vehicle, I would grab my keys, drive it home and do it myself -- there is no added benefit aside from the risk of doing it wrong.

Anyhow, back to the topic. This issues seems like a lack of a "feature" (unbelievable for their "high-end" product) for this TV. Apparently nobody there thought that even TVs going back 10+ years would let you adjust volume to external speakers (at the very least if you shut off the internal speakers). So, unless I get a full-fledged A/V receiver, I don't have much choice to just simply adjust my volume (which means yet another remote control).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, don't get mad at the customer service rep. It's not his fault the TV doesn't have a variable audio output. He's telling it like it is and no amount of "more information" ain't gonna put it in there. If anything, get mad at yourself for "assuming" it would have one. Caveat emptor.

Second, while it's a nice set for it's price, Vizio is not a high end unit. It's designed to give the best performance with bare-bones features to keep the price down to a minimum. Variable audio output isn't essential to a good picture.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You could give something like this a try. I'm surprised that more products like that don't exist, but I remember looking for some last year and coming across the same thing.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
First off, don't get mad at the customer service rep. It's not his fault the TV doesn't have a variable audio output. He's telling it like it is and no amount of "more information" ain't gonna put it in there. If anything, get mad at yourself for "assuming" it would have one. Caveat emptor.

Second, while it's a nice set for it's price, Vizio is not a high end unit. It's designed to give the best performance with bare-bones features to keep the price down to a minimum. Variable audio output isn't essential to a good picture.
You're right, it isn't his fault and I'm not trying to make it sound like its the rep's fault because it isn't. I just don't see the point of having tech support that doesn't actuall offer "tech support"... if I need someone to read the same manual that I have, there are many other alternatives that would be just as helpful (that's my point).
Second, I know Vizio is not a high-end brand... their XVT-line is their high-end brand. And yes, it may have been an assumption on my part, but listen, it isn't like it was an unrealistic one... this isn't a high-end feature. It's not as if it is difficult to do, nor is it expensive to do. I just don't see a compelling reason not to have it. But, as you said, buyer beware...

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
You could give something like this a try. I'm surprised that more products like that don't exist, but I remember looking for some last year and coming across the same thing.

Thanks!! I'll check it out, that may be a helpful solution!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis