visio sound bar sharp aquos tv not outputting digital audio

P

pberm1962

Enthusiast
i am attempting to use the digital audio output of the sharp aquos lc-52d85u tv into my new visio sound bar and am getting no sound. there is a red light coming out of the end of the optical cable that i am plugging into the sound bar. the tv is about 10 years old and the manual states that i may require to do a firmware update on the tv before i can select PCM on the tvs digital settings. i went ahead and did the firmware update on the tv and it appeared to take effect, but i am still not getting an option to select PCM on the tv. all i get is the option to do a software update for the tv,the same result as before the software update. i am using an hdmi input into the tv from my directv box fyi . i can hear sound out of the sound bar if i use an rca cable from the tv audio out to the sound bar .any idea how i can get that digital out to work on my tv.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i am attempting to use the digital audio output of the sharp aquos lc-52d85u tv into my new visio sound bar and am getting no sound. there is a red light coming out of the end of the optical cable that i am plugging into the sound bar. the tv is about 10 years old and the manual states that i may require to do a firmware update on the tv before i can select PCM on the tvs digital settings. i went ahead and did the firmware update on the tv and it appeared to take effect, but i am still not getting an option to select PCM on the tv. all i get is the option to do a software update for the tv,the same result as before the software update. i am using an hdmi input into the tv from my directv box fyi . i can hear sound out of the sound bar if i use an rca cable from the tv audio out to the sound bar .any idea how i can get that digital out to work on my tv.
Manual is vague. It says the TV does not output a digital audio signal from an HDMI input on page 13. This is what it says. You have to set connected equipment to PCM 32/44.1,1/48kHz. On page 30 it says you also have to set the TV to output PCM, which you might not be able to do.

A lot has changed in 10 years and it might be new TV time.

Your other option is a receiver and speakers and not a sound bar, and connect your direct box to the receiver.

I would try the update one more time. If no luck after that then I think you are stuck.

P

pberm1962

Enthusiast
thank you tls guy for your great responce. the funny thing is i had the surround receiver hooked up for years and decided to clean up a little with a sound bar. i dont need anything great and will probably have to live with the rca out of the tv to the phono aux input in on the soundbar until i do what you said,get a new TV. it doesnt sound bad and i aint too picky.i did see the pages you referred to in the owners manual and agree my tv most likely wont output digital with an hdmi as the main input. i will use this tv in my basement as my ps4 ,rock band 4 tv. i have a little audio convertor box that passes through the hdmi video and breaks out the audio into digital optical that i will hook into my denon receiver that i was using in my living room(my ps4 doesnt have digital optical output). should be fine

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis