Vinyl . what to look for?

M

mark339

Audiophyte
So I am thinking about purchasing a turn table and playing some Vinyl. I have a large collection that I have had since the 60's and 70's, But there is a lot of stuff since then I don't have, Is a Vinyl record still a Vinyl record or is there some stuff I need to be aware of when I go to buy some new ones, also whats a good online site to buy some from? Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont know where you live but dome of the major storees that sold both CD and DVD have starting selling vinyl. Other sources of vinyl are used record stores where I have picked up many a blues albums that are not available on CD or download. I havecalso purchased from an outfit called Fat Possum Records.

Vinyl is still vinyl. I found the quality of new vinyl generally really good but there are always exceptions. The beauty of new artists releasing on vinyl is that they also include a download coupon of the akbum in 320Mps or flac so that one gas yhe best of boyh worlds. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Really Mr Magoo? How does this in anyway help the OP? o_O

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Gotta watch on new albums, yes they are essentially all lossless, but lossless on terribly cut albums. I can rip a pos mp3 to flac and say I have lossless music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I am thinking about purchasing a turn table and playing some Vinyl. I have a large collection that I have had since the 60's and 70's, But there is a lot of stuff since then I don't have, Is a Vinyl record still a Vinyl record or is there some stuff I need to be aware of when I go to buy some new ones, also whats a good online site to buy some from? Thanks
I'd say one potential difference on newer releases is the digital recording methods in the background (if you're trying for analog "purity"). I haven't been purchasing new vinyl for quite a while, tho I did a few years ago buy a Van Morrison thru Wolfgang's Vault on 180g vinyl recently pressed....it was still vinyl is all I can say. I'm using my tt to just play my collection from the 60s/70s/80s before I went digital (for most playback).

One place you might consider for purchasing recordings (whatever your fancy) is thru discogs.com, too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotta watch on new albums, yes they are essentially all lossless, but lossless on terribly cut albums. I can rip a pos mp3 to flac and say I have lossless music.
The source for the lossless is not the album itself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The poor spelling rating. I dont know how that helps the OP.
Ah, I see now....I'd just pm someone who does a funky rating, often it's just fat fingers IME.

ps Didn't realize we had a poor spelling rating before either, but I might use it :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis