Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Being a Beatles' collector of sorts, I would love to get the Beatles' "Get Back" LP that was never issued until it was was included in the 2021 "Let it Be" box set. I did get the Revolver box set because I definitely wanted the stereo remaster and also the 2022 mono remaster, which is superior to the one in the 2014 mono box set (which I also have!), but I don't have a lot of interest in the LIB box set. I already have 2 (or maybe 3) copies of LIB, plus the 2003 release of "LIB Naked".

Attachments

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW, something I started doing with my family & friends on Facebook is a "Thursday Throw-Down" to see which TWO out of six LP's that I post will I play that Thursday evening. I only play two (sometimes 3) albums for the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours of listening per evening. It's not absolute, some nights I stream music. The objective is to get more people (my F&F) interested in records. I use a different theme each week, and post it sometime during the day on Wednesday. This one was all recent/improved releases of iconic records. Here's an example:

>>>
Thursday Throw-Down for Nov. 16, 2023!!
PLEASE PLEASE VOTE
Do this: look over the six choices and choose TWO by number, artist, or title, post your choices below. I'm definitely making it harder this time, as these are all iconic recordings!!
I will total up the votes and that's what I'm playing on Thursday November 16th! Of course I would love to have one or two friends come join me for the listening. If you do the single malt scotch, bourbon, or rye is my treat.

1. Diana Krall "The Look Of Love", 2014 on Verve Records, this one a 2016 re-issue on two 180gram 45rpm records from Germany. Catalog # 602547377074
2. Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms", 1985 on Rhino (a Warner Music Group company), this a 2014 re-issue on two 180 gram 45rpm records from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Ltd Edition # 020220, Catalog # MFSL 2-441
3. Steely Dan "Two Against Nature", 2000 on Rhino Records (a Warner Music Group company) this one a 2021 re-issue from Analogue Productions on two 180 gram 45rpm records. Catalog # APP141-45
4. Supertramp "Breakfast In America", 1979 on A&M Records, this one a 2017 pressing from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs on two 180 gram 45rpm records. Ltd Edition # 007234, Catalog # MFSL 1-471
5. Elvis Costello "Goodbye Cruel World", 1984 on Universal Music Group label, this a 2014 re-issue from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs on one 180 gram 33rpm record. Ltd Edition # 001621 Catalog # MFSL 1-432
6. Carol King "Tapestry", 1971 on Epic Records, this a 2013 re-issue from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs on one 180 gram 33rpm record. Ltd Edition # 007786, Catalog # MFSL 1-414

Throw_Down_11-15-23.jpg

Note: I am NOT looking for anyone here to vote here. It's just to show you something I'm doing. Perhaps you might wish to emulate or come up with a very different means to get your F&F interested in vinyl.

What do you think?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I really need to listen to Diana Krall. I love the look of love but never have heard her version. I'll stream it first then maybe buy the LP or cd.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I got this terrific Cecil E. Watts Dust Bug from TLS Guy today. Pretty great! LP playing is Larry Norman's "In Another Land".
You collection will thank you! The 'Dust Bug' is the number one go to device for keeping your vinyl collection in pristine condition.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You collection will thank you! The 'Dust Bug' is the number one go to device for keeping your vinyl collection in pristine condition.
I was under the impression that the red brush would rotate as it cleans. Do you ever manually turn it a little every so often?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Curious as to what stylus shapes everyone prefers.......Shibata, Elliptical, Conical, line-contact, micro-ridge ?

interesting article .........

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Curious as to what stylus shapes everyone prefers.......Shibata, Elliptical, Conical, line-contact, micro-ridge ?

I think the correct shape is what the designers specified for the cartridge. My Shure V15xMR cartridges have micro ridge styli. My Decca H4E has an elliptical stylus.
I think within reason you should stick to what the cartridge was designed for. Shure cartridges are no longer available. The best alternative to the V15xMR is probably the Ortofon Black.

What is really important is selecting the appropriate arm for the cartridge. These days you tend not to have a choice, as you have to put up with whatever comes with your turntable, which is seldom optimal. Back in the heyday you purchased each separately. Believe it or not, I have never purchased a turntable with an arm on it.
The original Decca heads could only be used on a matching arm, although SME did make an adapter. As far as the Shure V15 range, the SME series III arms were designed to be an optimal match for those cartridges.

So stylus shape is just one of many variables. The physics of vinyl disc playback is a lot more complicated than people think. The simplicity is actually deceiving.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

I've had cartridges with conical (AT71), elliptical (Ortofon Quintet Blue), Shibata (Audio Technica AT33Sa), special line contact (Audio Technica LS500), and microline (Hana ML) and I most definitely prefer the microline. The Shibata on the AT33Sa was a very close second, and the LS500 was right there too. I gifted the LS500 to my son.

The AT33Sa has been reworked by Andy Kim of Needle Clinic in California to have his tapered boron cantilever and microline stylus. When I can find the right (affordable) Step-Up Transformer for that one, it's clearly the best I have. Output voltage is clearly lower with the rework, and my Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ phono amp maxes out with 60dB gain. I need a bit more.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Forgot to mention my current set up, VPI Aries III, Benz Micro Gullwing(micro-ridge). My favorite MC to date.

as for TLS stating Shure no longer making the V15, while true, I believe JICO makes the replacement assembly and with plenty of used bodies available(flea-Bay, etc) you're good to go !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Forgot to mention my current set up, VPI Aries III, Benz Micro Gullwing(micro-ridge). My favorite MC to date.

as for TLS stating Shure no longer making the V15, while true, I believe JICO makes the replacement assembly and with plenty of used bodies available(flea-Bay, etc) you're good to go !
Well yes and no. The real "guts" of an MM cartridge is in the stylus replacement. The shell only contains the coils. So once you put a JICO stylus on, you have a different cartridge.

Just for one thing the Shure V15 series use beryllium cantilevers, but the JICO uses Boron. I have no idea what differences there are in the suspension and damping.

So I suspect I would spring for the Ortofon Black.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Steely Dan's "The Royal Scam" sounds quite nice on my new turntable with the Ortofon Blue cartridge now mounted. I'll try a 12" 45 next. Like T-Bone Burnett's "Behind the Trap Door".
Two accessories mounted: Cecil E. Watts Dust Bug and the Q Up automatic tone arm lifter.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I received 4 LP's from Sounds Of Vinyl today, about 4 weeks after ordering for the $10 shipping on each.

The first one I wanted to hear was the Chris Cornell "No One Sings Like You Anymore". What a huge disappointment. It's a picture disk, and poorly done. It has arguably the highest noise floor of any LP I own.

I'll go looking for a quality version of it...on good ol' black vinyl.

Sounds_Of_Vinyl_12-4-2023.jpg

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Bummer Ken, sadly with the renewed interest in 'Vinyl' there is more poor quality to sort through.

I rarely buy 'new' Lp's anymore (TLS and others have pointed out reasons previous), but when I do I at least try and search out 'analog integrity'. Blue Heaven Studios and ACONY (David Rawlings/Gillian Welch) are but two examples of well engineered and mastered recordings

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis