Vintage stereo equipment

E

Ed Metro

Audiophyte
Hello Vintage Audio Enthusiasts,

I have an Onkyo TX-3000 vintage receiver and a new Insignia STR514 receiver. When I connected a vintage Technics SL-3300 turntable to the vintage Onkyo, the sound was great. Unfortunately, I am selling the Technics turntable, but I have two other vintage turntables I would like to connect to the Insignia. Can I hook up a pre-amp to the Insignia in order to play a vintage turntable? The Insignia also plays Bluetooth (but low volume). Perhaps, there is a BlueTooth solution/add-on for the old Onkyo? I listened to the Smithsonian Jazz Collection 9-record (1976) set the other day and I'm hooked on Coltrane and Sarah Vaughn.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You can definitely add a phono pre-amp to adapt your TT to the Insignia.

You should be asking for recommendations for a high value phono pre-amp to go with your Insignia. Seems like somebody recommended one that was reasonably priced.

What speakers are you driving?

I'm not sure I would trust a $100 BestBuy stereo receiver to provide solid power. Do you know who makes them for BestBuy? That is a great price for a wireless networking receiver if the amp section is solid!

Also, looking at the photo of the back panel provided on BB's website, in the labeling on the right, it says "POWER CONSUMPTION ???A"! I assume this is from a pre-production sample! What does yours say?

I am also posting a picture of the remote in the hopes someone can ID the manufacturer:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I'd use an Insignia receiver but you could add something like an ART Phono Plus or DJPreII for phono pre-amp easily enough. There are many bluetooth receivers you could add to the receiver as well, or even a wifi adapter for using something like the Audio Chromecast if you're not restricted to BT.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
A wireless solution to the Onkyo would be Airport Express if you are using iTunes music player and wish to play wirelessly for output from your external speakers. To get turntable output to Insignia just add a phono preamp between turntable and receiver, this is assuming the turntables you are keeping do not have built-in preamp.

E

Ed Metro

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the helpful info. Hope you can see this pic. Wish I had checked with you first. That Insignia is paired with Cambridge SW M80 bookshelf speakers. Probably will go with the lowest cost pre-amp solution on Insig
Insig.jpg
so I can use one of my other vintage turntables I haven't sold. I can't believe the price of new turntables. Don't have a lot of space otherwise I'd be blasting my ears with this other old school vintage stuff that's collecting dust but still sounds fine.

1. Insignia STR514 (Purchased 2017 for bluetooth)
  2. Cambridge Soundworks M80 (18" speakers)
  3. Technics 3-way speakers system model SB-2840 (37.5" high, L+R)
  4. Cerwin Vega CV-3000 3-way speakers (HED) High Energy Design
  5. Pioneer CD Player PDM60 (6-disc magazine cart system)
  6. 34 magazines for PDM60 AC home player and car compatible players
  7. Onkyo TX-3000 receiver (70's/80s)
  8. Sanyo Auto Return TT
  9. Technics SL-D35 Turntable with AT cart/needle
  10. Technics SL-3300 TT w/AT cart/needle/cover/instructions (selling)
  11. Onkyo TA-RW99 double cassette deck
  12. Denon DRW-50 double cassette deck
  13. Philips Mag 5-disk carousel CD changer
  14. Sony CDP-397 single CD player (High-Density Linear Converter) + Bose Wave AWR113
    Insig.jpg

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

The Pioneer SX-1980

This was a nice receiver in it's day, it fact, it still is.

It still gets top dollar on eBay (depending on condition).

Pioneer rated it at 270 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have one of those receivers, and I like mine. Peace and goodwill.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hang on to it. I bet it'll never go down in value.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Does anyone still use any 'vintage' 90's 2-channel stereo separates?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Love my MacIntosh MR-74 AM/FM receiver (early 1970's vintage). Use it often, at least weekly.
I have a NAD 7125 receiver that is installed on the Service Bench (mid 1980's).
A lot of my gear dates to the 1990's which I don't consider vintage but some might.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Love my MacIntosh MR-74 AM/FM receiver (early 1970's vintage). Use it often, at least weekly.
I have a NAD 7125 receiver that is installed on the Service Bench (mid 1980's).
A lot of my gear dates to the 1990's which I don't consider vintage but some might.
Nice, Johnny! Love it.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I miss my NAD separates from the early 1980s. Kept them until they quit one by one. These days I'm running a HK 3490 into some Primus 363s pretty nice but those NADs into my DCM Time Windows had the best sound I've ever owned.
Dave

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis