vintage speaker info

P

Paulyo

Audiophyte
I'm dating my self but I have a 25-year old pair of ADS L630 speakers that are still working fine. I'm looking to find technical information about these or similar speakers from the ADS line so I can find a reasonable match for new center and surround speakers. I've looked on Ebay but didn't find what I was looking for. I also contacted a/d/s and they are not the same company. Any help or information would be appreciated

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Paulyo said:
I'm dating my self but I have a 25-year old pair of ADS L630 speakers that are still working fine. I'm looking to find technical information about these or similar speakers from the ADS line so I can find a reasonable match for new center and surround speakers. I've looked on Ebay but didn't find what I was looking for. I also contacted a/d/s and they are not the same company. Any help or information would be appreciated
I believe those are a 3 way system with dome midrange and dome tweeters right? Those are a great pair of speakers.

There are several brands out there that should match up pretty well. Paradigm, comes to mind.

Mordaunt-Short Avant 905 is also a choice that would sound pretty good.

Also the BIC DV62clr with the Ed Frias crossover mod would work.

Basically you want to match the high and mid frequency drivers as best as possible.

P

Paulyo

Audiophyte
Yes the ADS L630 is a 3-way speaker. Thanks for your input. I was giving some thought to the Mourdant-Short line since they got a good review on audioholics. What do think of B&W?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Paulyo said:
Yes the ADS L630 is a 3-way speaker. Thanks for your input. I was giving some thought to the Mourdant-Short line since they got a good review on audioholics. What do think of B&W?
Great center, it also would match up pretty well.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Just an opinion, but I'd think something with a soft dome tweeter would match up better with the A/D/S. I've got a pair of 810's I bought of ebay. Excellent sounding speakers.

P

Paulyo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the opinion. One dealer that I talked with here in the Sacramento area agrees that a soft dome would be the way to go.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Paulyo said:
Thanks for the opinion. One dealer that I talked with here in the Sacramento area agrees that a soft dome would be the way to go.

It really depends on how much control you have over the response of the center chan speaker. You can timbre match with a parametric eq.In that case I'd go with the best sounding speaker.

P

Paulyo

Audiophyte
I'm still learning this speaker matching thing. I am running the ADS L630 speakers from an Integra DTR 6.5 AV receiver. The receiver does have audio adjust features. Could you please expand on the parametric equilizer? Right now I'm leaning toward the B&W LCR 600. Do you have any experience with Tannoy speakers?
Thanks, your input is what I need.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Paulyo said:
I'm still learning this speaker matching thing. I am running the ADS L630 speakers from an Integra DTR 6.5 AV receiver. The receiver does have audio adjust features. Could you please expand on the parametric equilizer? Right now I'm leaning toward the B&W LCR 600. Do you have any experience with Tannoy speakers?
Thanks, your input is what I need.
A parametric equalizer allows you to precisely control the gain, frequency and bandwidth on each channel of the EQ. You can, say boost, 1KHz, 7 db, with a 10Hz bandwidth. So in reality you are boosting 995-1005KHz. Compared to a graphic EQ where you are boosting up to several KHz of bandwidth, depending on the # of channels.

They really allow you to tailor your system, and help make up deficiencies, room or equipment.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
There is really no substitute for a good parametric eq. All systems, when mated to a set of speakers, will lack some frequencies somewhere. What the parametric eq does is allow for slight gains and cuts to get rid of "muddy" bass and "harsh" highs, as well as everything in between. All types of professional bands as well as audio engineers use them. The latest gadgets out are digital surround eq's that allow you to tailor each channel with a wider range of flexibility. Your jaw would drop if you were to take advantage of a good parametric or digital eq with your speakers. Just upgrading a receiver or amplifier is ignorant of what really makes your speakers come alive. These eq's, sometimes built into the higher end receivers, are paramount to tailoring the sound to your room acoustics.

P

Paulyo

Audiophyte
For you who responded, a local dealer let take home a brand new B&W LCR 600 S3. I first listened to it and LCR60 in their studio. The LCR 600 S3 is a very close match to my existing ADSL630 speakers. In Theater-dimension mode of the Integra DTR 6.5 receiver I was able to turn off and on the center channel speaker. I found that B&W seemed to reproduce voice a little better, however, instrumental music sounded near identical. Probably will go with this speaker for center. Any suggestions for a 10" subwoofer?

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am not certain, but looks to be the same company to me. I am considering their outdoor speakers. I am a HUGE a/d/s fan.

a/d/s

or cheaper

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis