Vintage Advent Speakers

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Has anybody on this forum had these speakers before? I believe these are early to mid 1970's model. A co-worker gave them to me and she purchased them new back in the day. She has not used them in years and decided to finally let them go.

I have attached some pictures. I have not hooked them up to test them. If anybody is interested in wanting them, let me know. Shoot me an offer and I will consider. It would have to be local pickup only unless buyer wants to pay for shipping. Which would be well over $200.

Speaker dimensions are 25.5"(H) x 14"(W) x 11.5" (D)

Attachments

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It might be good to hook them up and test them ... so you can know their sound signature and that both drivers work ... they still sell on Ebay.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My first pair of speakers :). Good speakers and those look in great shape as long as the tweet isn't fried (they were somewhat prone to that). Fried egg tweeters I think they were called, too. If you're in Oregon we can talk.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're definitely about as vintagey as it gets, lol. I see Advent speakers for sale on CL very often.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It might be good to hook them up and test them ... so you can know their sound signature and that both drivers work ... they still sell on Ebay.
Just did a quick test for each speaker and they sound really good. I don't hear any issues. Nothing cracking, or skipping or whatever else could sound wrong. I'm actually impressed.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
My first pair of speakers :). Good speakers and those look in great shape as long as the tweet isn't fried (they were somewhat prone to that). Fried egg tweeters I think they were called, too. If you're in Oregon we can talk.
Just did a sound test and everything sounds great. Unfortunately I am nowhere near Oregon. I'm in MN. A quick drive over for you and these babies are yours!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My parents had these same speakers back in the 70s and 80s. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just did a sound test and everything sounds great. Unfortunately I am nowhere near Oregon. I'm in MN. A quick drive over for you and these babies are yours!
Thanks but yeah that's just a bit too much of a drive for 'em :) Nostalgia only goes so far....especially when ya have more speakers than can be used....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
2nd pair I owned were new Advents back in 1979. Great speakers at the time. And they were referred to fried egg tweeters as I recall. :)

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
2nd pair I owned were new Advents back in 1979. Great speakers at the time. And they were referred to fried egg tweeters as I recall. :)
I just picked up a single one of these on ebay to have Erin or Amir test. I owned a pair in the early 70's. It will be interesting to see how they do on the old Spinorama. I always thought the sound was well balanced with excellent bass reach and clarity, but there was some coloration in the string sound and detail was a bit veiled, which you would expect given what must have been poor directivity characteristics. But we'll see what Herr Klippel has to say about it.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I just picked up a single one of these on ebay to have Erin or Amir test. I owned a pair in the early 70's. It will be interesting to see how they do on the old Spinorama. I always thought the sound was well balanced with excellent bass reach and clarity, but there was some coloration in the string sound and detail was a bit veiled, which you would expect given what must have been poor directivity characteristics. But we'll see what Herr Klippel has to say about it.
Nice but if you want the full effect you will have to find another single. :) I sold mine in the early 80s when I moved into a small apartment. Picked up some Allison 6 cubes. Nice but missing the Advents huge bass. Both pairs are long gone so I have no idea how they would compare with my current Infinity Primus 363s.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis, I think you just found a great April Fools day prank:
Get somebody to do a mockup of the new-new BMR with that tweeter as the "mid" and tell everyone how amazing it will be with the new grille-less speaker! :D

(sorry, cross-forum joke.)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually for April Fool's I hope one year Amir does a full Klippel of a white van speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis