Vienna Acoustics speakers

F

fussballer

Audiophyte
Does anyone have experience with Vienna Acoustics speakers?

I listened to their Haydn bookshelf speakers and their Bach floor speakers in a store today and they sounded wonderful, especially for music (electronic, classical and rock). If I got them, I would want to use them extensively for home theater/surround sound too, though. At a price point of around 700 ea. - 1400 a pair they are significantly more expensive than Axiom, Aperion, B&K or even Paradigm speakers.

Does anyone have experience with how, for example, bookshelf Axioms or Paradigms stack up against the Viennas? How about price-performance for the Viennas? And, what are the right Vienna speakers to go for? They also had Bachs and Beethovens in the store.

Thanks for suggestions and comments.

G

Grey Ghost

Audioholic Intern
Vienna Acoustics

Sir,
In my opinion Vienna Acoustics are a good speaker. The ones you speak of the Hayden I have heard them at a local Tweater store. For the money I would jump up to the Von Schweikert Audio Vr-1 for $995 per pair. It is like night and day from the Hayden in my opinion. Check them out here www.vonschweikert.com Good luck with your choice!

Grey Ghost

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Or you could read our reviews of the Von Schweikert VR-1's and VR-2's to get some info too :rolleyes:

I briefly listened to Vienna speakers at a local Sound Advice and thought they were ok, but I don't have enough experience with them to give a fair assessment. Perhaps in the future I will have one of my staff contact them to do a review...

F

fussballer

Audiophyte
Thank you for your suggestions, opinions and input.

In the last few days, I have listened to B&W 600 series bookshelf and floorstanding speakers, M&Ks and Bostons. In comparison, I liked the B&Ws the best, but I still think that the Viennas sounded smoother and softer. They delivered every note and tone clearer than any of the other speakers I have listened to.

I am still looking for a store in Los Angeles that has Von Schweikert's on their floor so I can listen to them. The Audioholics reviews were very helpful and I think I will defnitely try to listen to them before I buy anything. Thanks again for all your help.

U

Unregistered

You can try and contact them. They are located just outside of Escodido, CA (about 120-135 miles South of Los Angeles). Here is their info:

Von Schweikert Audio
930 Armorlite Dr.
San Marcos, California 92069

Phone: (760) 410-1650
Fax: (760) 410-1655

V.P., National Sales and Marketing
Rusty Taub

They can either direct you somewhere local to you to hear them or you can see if you can go to their facility to hear a pair (and maybe even get a tour!)

Good luck.

U

Unregistered

Haydns are very nice.

I have owned a set of Vienna Acoustics Haydns for about 9 months now and have no regrets. I got mine for $850, demos from Magnolia Hifi in Seattle. They are warm and laid back compared to most book shelf speakers I auditioned. I bought these after suffering from overly bright and underpowered KEF Q90's and fell in love immediately. I also think upgrading from a 7 year old Kenwood CD player to an ARCAM CD62 made a big difference. That is my present set up along with an economical Denon AVR-1804 receiver to move things along. Nothing Fancy.

I listen to allot of BB King, Fatboy Slim, and SRV. The Haydns have excellent mid to low range umph for what they are. I live in a small apartment so having a huge 3 way set up with a sub woofer would be over kill.

I will transition these to Rear Surround duty when I upgrade to a true home theater set up where I'm sure they will do fine. I expect to keep them for years to come. Construction wise they a tad deeper than most bookshelf speakers if footprint in an issue.

U

Unregistered

Vienna Acoustic Bach

I recently purchased a set of demo's for half price at Tweeters. I am driving them with an Onkyo 696 and a Sony dvd. Good but not great equipment. I was completely blown away when I played the "the Best of Tuck and Patti's" version of Hendriks "Castle made of Sand". The highs and mid range are clear and articulate. They have a great sound stage. The mid lows and bass are smooth and pronounced.
"Medicine Man's" extensive use of multitrack layers was a pleasure to listen to. Coyote's Oldman "Landscape" was haunting and surreal. Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstandt, and Emmy Lou Harris on "Trio" harmonies were detailed and pleasing.
Another joy is just listening to Satellite music channel for background while reading.
Today, I had time to set up the 5.1 parameters. I am very pleased with the results. Because of their transparency, they complimented my inexpensive Bose Center Channel and the 161's surrounds. Set 18" away from my TV, they did not not interfere with the quality of the picture.
I would buy them again if I found them at the price I did without hesitation

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis