T

terrance

Audiophyte
First timer, I hope this not a redundant question. I'm slowly putting together a HT. 50" plasma is in place and I'm now looking to complete the system with a solid A/V Receiver to be the heart of the system. I going to give HTD Middies w/ a level 2 sub upgrade a try for the speakers and the receivers I'm considering are the Denon AVR-2805, Onkyo TXSR602 of the Onkyo TXSR701. The 602 is the least expensive of the bunch, but does not have Video up conversion, is this an important feature thats worth an extra 150.00 +-? In long run is it worth stepping up to the better receivers? I'll be running HD cable, DVD, VCR, XBox and IPod through the receiver. Any thoughts???

U

Unregistered

This is a question only you can answer.

Video purists will shudder at the thought of putting a receiver in the video chain.

Personally, I was frustrated with having to switch audio with my reciever, and video with my television. And trying to explain the ins and outs to my wife was not easy.

My new Denon reciever upconverts all inputs to component. My TV is finally the monitor that I've always wanted it to be. I use one control on my TV: the on/off button.

For me, it was worth the extra $$ for the convenience. Your situation, however, is likely different than mine.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know about the level of proficiency of those who will be using your system, but you should consider the number of component inputs you will have on the AV receiver as well.

While video upconversion isn't mandatory, it is a nice feature of the more expensive boxes. Yamaha, for the money, gives you more than just upconversion for your cash, so if you are looking to spend more, look for what else is in the box.

Saying "I am only looking to hookup..." and then listing a few products... Well, what about next year? How much other stuff may end up hooked up to this receiver? Is there a chance you may want to do other stuff (distributed audio?) with the receiver?

If all you need is basic audio switching then you can go without the upconversion. But, it's a wiring and user convenience to not have to switch inputs on the display to match the current source being fed to it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis