Video-Shielded Speakers

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Reading the specs on most speakers mention "Video-Shielded - NO" .

My assumption is today's flat panel LCD, LED, etc. TV's are not affected by unshielded speakers.

However, turntables do seem to be affected. I'm wondering why not offer a shielded speaker to use in a system that includes a turntable?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My assumption is today's flat panel LCD, LED, etc. TV's are not affected by unshielded speakers.
Correct. Only cathode ray TVs could be affected by speakers with unshielded magnets.
However, turntables do seem to be affected. I'm wondering why not offer a shielded speaker to use in a system that includes a turntable?
The effect speakers have on turntables is acoustic, where sound waves travel through air, floor, or furniture and get picked up by the cartridge in a feedback loop. I've never heard of speaker magnets interfering with pick up cartridges. Speakers would have to be very close, closer than 1½ feet, to a turntable for that to happen. Acoustic feedback would be a problem further away than that.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Correct. Only cathode ray TVs could be affected by speakers with unshielded magnets.
The effect speakers have on turntables is acoustic, where sound waves travel through air, floor, or furniture and get picked up by the cartridge in a feedback loop. I've never heard of speaker magnets interfering with pick up cartridges. Speakers would have to be very close, closer than 1½ feet, to a turntable for that to happen. Acoustic feedback would be a problem further away than that.
That could be my problem, the turntables are too close to the front speakers (about a foot away). The subwoofer is on the floor about 3 feet below the turntable. The turntable is on an isolation platform but that only seems to eliminate the problem of the speaker jumping around when I play the turntable, I'm still hearing a rumble from the subwoofer.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That could be my problem, the turntables are too close to the front speakers (about a foot away). The subwoofer is on the floor about 3 feet below the turntable. The turntable is on an isolation platform but that only seems to eliminate the problem of the speaker jumping around when I play the turntable, I'm still hearing a rumble from the subwoofer.
That rumble is probably acoustic feedback. To be certain, try a simple test. Temporarily turn off the subwoofer, move the turntable to a different place, or move the subwoofer. If that eliminates the rumble, you can be sure your problem is acoustic feedback. Then all you have to do is find a different permanent location for your turntable or subwoofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis