VIDEO CAPTURE - Purchase Recommendations?

M

mkabucis

Audiophyte
I've recently started looking for an option to transfer my old home-video VHS tapes to digital. Everywhere I have looked, whether it's tv cards, usb transfer cabling with/or/without included s/w, or a standalone piece of hardware, I have read incredibly conflicting reviews of what works and what doesn't. For cost and technology, I need to keep it simple.

I don't have a HD tv, although I do have access to one if that's the best avenue. I do have a reliable VHS player and video camera, and a reliable computer with XP o/s and Nero recording s/w. Can someone advise me on the best value and means to transfer my tapes? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
How many do you have to do? It may be worth having a service do this for you and they may be able to enhance the video or at least transfer it at the best quality.

M

mkabucis

Audiophyte
I've got 20 or more which would cost me significantly. Also, if I had the necessary goodies, I could edit out what I don't need.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a fan of the capture card option. I use one of the USB options that Pinnacle offers and Even use their software at times. Its just fine if you don't have a lot of post editing to do. Occasionally, I'll flip over to the MAC side, but only when a lot of editing is necessary.

Honestly, your biggest factor is what kind of quality you need. There are Processor Amps that can really help you get great quality, but if this isn't an absolute priority, then straight from VCR to capture is fine. Be sure to scale back the sharpness of the VCR when playing, MPEG handles the softer video a little better. Also consider using a half-res rip (pinnacle supports this) to fit more video per DVD. My family used to record using SLP that supports 6 hours of video. A full resolution rip of these tapes would require almost 4 DVD's. Half res solves this issue and cuts way back on the time of authoring. Figure 2 total hours for every hour of video you want converted if you have a decent PC. Depending on what your time is worth, and how fast you need it done, converting 20 commercially might be a better option. Have you priced it out?

U

um316b

Audiophyte
you don't need an HDTV

VHS quality is junk, so there's no need to have high definition television. Get Adobe Premiere Elements and a used JVC miniDV camera off craigsist. Plug the VHS into the camera and the camera into a firewire port read by premiere. That's all the quality you need.

K

kujomujo

Audiophyte
I went out and bought a Pioneer DVD standalone burner with a hard drive built in. This unit acts like a DVR when hooked up to a video source and the added benefit is that you can use the on guide DVD creator software to burn the video to DVDs. It sits with all my other equipment near my TV and just looks like another DVR.

I hooked up my VCR (gosh I cringe when I type that) to the inputs of the Pioneer, play the VCR and use the DVR capabilities to capture all the video onto the hard drive. The editing software is surprisingly easy to use with the remote control. After I'm done creating a storyboard, I just burn to a DVD...

I've done this to many, many old VCR movies from Italy, and it works really well. Also, another added benefit is that once you burn the DVD, you still have all the video on the DVD burner sitting next to your TV. So you don't necessarily have to pop a DVD in the player to watch it.

KM
www.myhometheatersecrets.com

M

mkabucis

Audiophyte
Thanks to everyone so far. Some of your detailed remarks are very appreciated. Quite a sampling of advice that I can look into further. While I'm obviously not looking for improved quality from a recognized poor original, I would just like to be able to use current software to edit these family tapes down to a reasonable storyboard length and save on a more secure media. And because I've seen products marketed as low as $40, I'm hoping that I can do this a whole lot cheaper than through a service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis