VidaBox Announces Blu-ray & HD DVD Media Centers

VidaBox announced today the world’s first dual HD DVD & Blu-Ray Media Center lines. The Dual HD upgrade allows the rack-mountable, premium LUX and MAX systems to play both high definition disc formats. In addition to being able to play both Blu-Ray and HD DVD discs at their native 1080p high-definition resolution, the new LUX and MAX Dual HD systems will also feature HDCP-compliant outputs for stunning, high-quality video, dual analog & dual HDTV tuners to record up to four TV shows at once, up to AMD 4600+ dual core processors with 8GB of RAM and a 7950GT video card for maximum speed & power, and up to 3,000GB and 3,750 GB of massive, VidaSafe-protected storage on the MAX and LUX, respectively.

[Read More]

Last edited by a moderator:
ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Do the dual format vidaboxes also handle the lossless surround formats?

VidaBox

VidaBox

<a href="http://www.vidabox.com/" target="_blank">
Ironlung,

Yes, the systems will handle both DD plus and DTS-HD. The sound needs to be routed through the analog outputs of the system to you receiver. We can provide higher grade dedicated sound cards upon request.

Also, you don't have to purchase a system with both formats. You can configure most of our systems with either format. The LUX and the MAX systems are the only systems that can be configured with both.

Thanks for your interest.

Sergio DeAlbuquerque
Co-Founder

VidaBox, LLC
www.vidabox.com

D

davo

Full Audioholic
So you are saying it won't send dolby HD and DTS HD over HDMI? What version HDMI does it support, because I'm starting to see reason for having one.

VidaBox

VidaBox

Sorry, the system will not have HDMI outputs. Only DVI, VGA and component at this point. DTD HD and DD plus will be output through the analog audio ports. We are working on getting HDMI 1.3 but that probably won't happen until mid to late 2007. Like I mentioned before, we can upgrade the video card to an audiophile quality card with balanced outputs. Contact us for more details.

Sergio DeAlbuquerque
Co-Founder

VidaBox, LLC
www.vidabox.com

J

jp9

Audiophyte
VidaBox said:
Sorry, the system will not have HDMI outputs. Only DVI, VGA and component at this point. DTD HD and DD plus will be output through the analog audio ports. We are working on getting HDMI 1.3 but that probably won't happen until mid to late 2007. Like I mentioned before, we can upgrade the video card to an audiophile quality card with balanced outputs. Contact us for more details.

Sergio DeAlbuquerque

www.vidabox.com

Hey, that's OK, there won't be many receivers or pre/pro before that time that will decode what davo and I would like , and I won't have any money before then either anyway;)

I do think davo is correct in wanting hdmi 1.3 in the system, and I'm actually happy to hear that you guys are working on it.

The thing I really want to be able to do is use the AACS features of HDDVD and BluRay to be able to move them onto a hard drive based system. I know that you can't do that with DVD(legally), but have read some things that amke it sound like it will (?) be allowed with the new formats. I'd like to be able to make a system like yours be able to serve as a reasonably-priced HD kadeidescape-like system (only better). I'd like to be able to take HDDVD/BR concert discs , all stored uncompressed on hard drives, and select playlists by track without going through menus, etc.

The satellite folks keep talking about making expanded hard drive available, so eventually that will be covered too.

The ultimate system would allow both combined, but I know that there are WAAAAY too many lawyers involved to hope for that.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Regarding legality of making backups of things, here in Australia the legislation has been amended to allow for recording from tv and radio without been called a crim. I think it allows for DVD backup onto a hard drive.

I think '07 will be the year it all happens.(EVERYTHING)

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Throw the F-ing receiver out the back door!!!!!

jp9 said:
Hey, that's OK, there won't be many receivers or pre/pro before that time that will decode what davo and I would like , and I won't have any money before then either anyway;)

I do think davo is correct in wanting hdmi 1.3 in the system, and I'm actually happy to hear that you guys are working on it.
With an HTPC the reciever is obsolete!!!!!

You guys are missing the beauty of a HTPC setup like this. The HTPC does not need to output HDMI 1.3. You don't need a HDMI 1.3 reciever. The HTPC does all surround decoding. HDCP compliant DVI to a huge display with analog out to a multi channel amp(NOT a pre/pro or receiver) and ALL even yet un-invented surround formats are covered with a software or sound card change.

Think about it...

One box that replaces the the whole rack of components. All optical disks, media storage/streaming, room correction/ PEqing...everything but amp,speakers and display. NOT another thing hooked to a reciever.

You folks at vida add a cable card digital cable or smartcard support for dish net/directTV and I will take the dive on a nice MAX 1TB dual HD optical system.

Not to go off topic to far but does Vida have DVB-S sat tuner cards integrated into MCE? My research has found poor driver support for DVB-S cards in MCE. Is it an easy user upgrade as commercial DVD storage?

Does Vidabox have any Linux HTPC support or plans? How does using open source in a retail product go? Myth or VDR are not the simplest to configure and giving a turn key VDR/Myth TV box with RPM type updates/upgrades would be valuable. Should I be asking this in another thread on another forum?

I really want an all in one high end HTPC. I hope you are correct with the early 2007 prediction on cablecard tuners for the PC.

J

jp9

Audiophyte
Maybe I will

ironlung,

Yes I get it, if they eventually support E*/D* a person could, I repeat could, use this system without a Pre/Pro or receiver. The present reality is that given the lack of full sat support, and the not-so-fantastic MS MCE software, I would rather use a system like this as yet another source, to replace my DVD carousel, eventual HDDVD/BluRay carousel and the owned content they store. Also, maybe you have used one of these systems, but I actually haven't seen the room correction/crossover in a media center. I'd be interested in info on that if you have a link.

Given that it is a MS MCE box, I guess my question on AACS useage to store my future HDDVD/BluRay content on hard drive is really a MS question. I was hoping that maybe someone could confirm that they think that MS and the content providers are still in line to allow us to do that.

jp9 said:
but I actually haven't seen the room correction/crossover in a media center
That new standalone Audyssey system would do nicely betweem a Media Center and amplifier... not cheap, but I suspect they'll bring another box into play before too long...

J

jp9

Audiophyte
Redundant thread

Clint, yes I guess that could work. I have an SMS-1, so I'm not opposed to spending money for sound quality .... this is Audioholics after all.... but it is yet another box even beyond the HTPC, (pre/pro if needed), and amp.

I went back to the Top 10 "Must Haves" in a Media Center thread. I had read it when it started, but had not seen all the recent posts before posting here. I think in the several posts Ironlung has recently made, he has captured my desires, as well as my concerns about the content providers allowing us to have it.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Un-verified 3rd party info can't be wrong!!!!

A nice gentlemen claiming to be an MS employee posted at AVS forum that room correction software will be built into Vista operating system.

Perhaps a Vidabox rep can confirm/deny such claims.

How bout a Audesey room correction software suite add on for HTPC...mmmmmmmmm room correction:)

Clint does the CE industry want to squash the 1 box high end theater? The 1 box concept seems so good for cost, compatibility and scalability. WAF has got to be huge for looks and ease of use on an HTPC.

To me a HTPC takes the best qualitys of a HTiB and the 15' x 15' media closet over flowing with processors and players and rolls it into one.

If the video performance scores the same as a flagship DVD player and analog audio meet the numbers claimed on the outputs how can you go wrong?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7 boxes with 7 remotes and 7 user interfaces, sometimes 7 sets of color and sound adjustments(that sometimes conflict) and a maze of wires connecting it all. Not user friendly for the kids/wife. Uses alot of space and outlets. All or nothing upgrade method.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

HTPC with all content sources under a unified user interface with one set of picture/sound controls and outputs. Scalable and upgradeable in increments. Like adding the bomb A$$ audessey room correction software to replace the built in MS stuff (in my dream setup:) ) Add a terabyte or two storage as needed. Software tweaks for new video audio file formats.

I'm rambling,
Ironlung

VidaBox

VidaBox

jp9 said:
The thing I really want to be able to do is use the AACS features of HDDVD and BluRay to be able to move them onto a hard drive based system. I know that you can't do that with DVD(legally), but have read some things that amke it sound like it will (?) be allowed with the new formats.
We'd love to do what you're describing, but one of the biggest reasons why HDDVD and BluRay came about was to "prevent copying." DCMA still applies to these new formats. Even so, until someone out there comes out with an (illegal) hack, copying BluRay & HDDVD isn't possible at the moment.

Even if it was copy-able, HDDVD and BR discs are anywhere from 20 to 50GB EACH!! That'd eat up disc space real fast, so it isn't practical for most people at this point in time.

But honestly - great suggestions. I hope that day comes when we can legally copy these discs for convenience.

Sincerely,
Steven W Cheung
VidaBox LLC

VidaBox

VidaBox

More answers

ironlung said:
With an HTPC the reciever is obsolete!!!!!

You guys are missing the beauty of a HTPC setup like this. The HTPC does not need to output HDMI 1.3. You don't need a HDMI 1.3 reciever. The HTPC does all surround decoding. HDCP compliant DVI to a huge display with analog out to a multi channel amp(NOT a pre/pro or receiver) and ALL even yet un-invented surround formats are covered with a software or sound card change.

Think about it...
Ironlung is absolutely correct - no receiver is needed - and THAT, my friends, is the beauty of having a VidaBox setup.

ironlung said:
Not to go off topic to far but does Vida have DVB-S sat tuner cards integrated into MCE? My research has found poor driver support for DVB-S cards in MCE. Is it an easy user upgrade as commercial DVD storage?

You folks at vida add a cable card digital cable or smartcard support for dish net/directTV and I will take the dive on a nice MAX 1TB dual HD optical system.

I really want an all in one high end HTPC. I hope you are correct with the early 2007 prediction on cablecard tuners for the PC.
Unfortunately, there's no DVB-S sat tuner card support at this time, but we're constantly on the lookout for new development areas. CableCARD is in our sights at the moment, and we hope to have it ready for you guys by 2007!

ironlung said:
Does Vidabox have any Linux HTPC support or plans? How does using open source in a retail product go? Myth or VDR are not the simplest to configure and giving a turn key VDR/Myth TV box with RPM type updates/upgrades would be valuable. Should I be asking this in another thread on another forum?
VidaBox doesn't use Linux, so direct Linux HTPC support is limited at this time. If you're referring to, say, another system on your network that is using Linux and has shared folders, they *can* be configured so that the VidaBox sees them and can grab videos, pictures, movies, music, etc. from it - but that's something that you or the installer will have to configure.

Great post, ironlung - keep them coming!

Sincerely,
Steven W Cheung
VidaBox LLC

VidaBox

VidaBox

Even more answers...

jp9 said:
...and the not-so-fantastic MS MCE software, I would rather use a system like this as yet another source, to replace my DVD carousel, eventual HDDVD/BluRay carousel and the owned content they store. Also, maybe you have used one of these systems, but I actually haven't seen the room correction/crossover in a media center. I'd be interested in info on that if you have a link.
Well, everyone has their opinion, but the MS MCE software is actually an award-winning piece of software... Everyone who I've demo'ed our systems to love it, and it's very easy-to-use. But again, to each his/her own.

jp9 said:
Given that it is a MS MCE box, I guess my question on AACS useage to store my future HDDVD/BluRay content on hard drive is really a MS question. I was hoping that maybe someone could confirm that they think that MS and the content providers are still in line to allow us to do that.
The limitation on HDDVD/BluRay storage is really more of a legality question... MS simply supplies the operating system/platform; some of the other functions, like DVD catalogging, is not done by MS. I think that storing on hard drives and displaying video from formats like BluRay and HDDVD is more of legal challenge than a software/hardware challenge, made mostly by encryption technologies. If the laws changed, I'm sure that it wouldn't really be a problem.

Thanks for the input!

Sincerely,
Steven W Cheung
VidaBox LLC

Last edited:
VidaBox

VidaBox

Yes, There is Room Correction

ironlung said:
A nice gentlemen claiming to be an MS employee posted at AVS forum that room correction software will be built into Vista operating system.

Perhaps a Vidabox rep can confirm/deny such claims.
Yes folks, Vista will feature Room Correction. This really is a big (if I may say, HUGE) feature for upgraders to Vista. Here's some more information:

http://amplioaudio.blogspot.com/2006/08/vista-audio-digital-room-correction.html

Original thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713073

Some screenshots:

Sincerely,
Steven W Cheung
VidaBox LLC

J

jp9

Audiophyte
VidaBox said:
Well, everyone has their opinion, but the MS MCE software is actually an award-winning piece of software... Everyone who I've demo'ed our systems to love it, and it's very easy-to-use. But again, to each his/her own.

The limitation on HDDVD/BluRay storage is really more of a legality question... MS simply supplies the operating system/platform; some of the other functions, like DVD catalogging, is not done by MS. I think that storing on hard drives and displaying video from formats like BluRay and HDDVD is more of legal challenge than a software/hardware challenge, made mostly by encryption technologies. If the laws changed, I'm sure that it wouldn't really be a problem.

Thanks for the input!

Sincerely,
Steven W Cheung
VidaBox LLC

I found some info on the aacs site

http://www.aacsla.com/what/how_aacs_works/

"For content providers, content aggregators, and device manufacturers, Advanced Access Content System will present opportunities for new distribution and business models, while improving functionality and interactivity for the consumer. For example, in addition to prerecorded optical disc support, Advanced Access Content System is being designed to support the ability to make recordings of content, as authorized. Additionally, the technology will support expanded flexibility in accessing, managing and, through interoperability, transferring content within a standalone or networked environment. Using advanced, proven cryptographic methods, AACS is flexible enough to interoperate with content protection technologies to enable consumers, to the extent authorized, to save licensed, protected copies of prerecorded movie titles onto home media server hard drives or authorized media while preventing unauthorized reproduction and distribution of next-generation optical media"

Steven, are you aware of this ? If so, then I take it that you think that the phrase "to the extent authorized" will actually mean that movies/concerts will not be "authorized" . This is what I'm asking about. Maybe this belongs on anoher forum page, but after all this is a thread for an HD DVD/Bluray media server. I have also found other links to AACS support in Vista on the MS site.

VidaBox

VidaBox

jp9 said:
I found some info on the aacs site

http://www.aacsla.com/what/how_aacs_works/

Steven, are you aware of this ? If so, then I take it that you think that the phrase "to the extent authorized" will actually mean that movies/concerts will not be "authorized" . This is what I'm asking about. Maybe this belongs on anoher forum page, but after all this is a thread for an HD DVD/Bluray media server. I have also found other links to AACS support in Vista on the MS site.
Wow, I wasn't aware that AACS has already gotten this far! Thanks for the link!

I remember a long while back reading an article talking about how consumers may be able to copy a "SD" version of their HD content if disc manufacturers put 2 versions (SD/HD) of the movie on one disk. That was ages ago; I didn't think it would ever become fruitation, as we were all living the days of the RIAA suing hundreds of people who were sharing content online. I really thought that, in a few years from that point, no one would be legally allowed to copy ANYTHING. :eek:

At any rate, let's hope that movies/concerts will be authorized, but I guess there will probably be some sort of "content flag" that the disc mfgs set, which is out of our (media center manufacturers') control.

Thanks again for the link!

Sincerely,
Steven Cheung
VidaBox LLC

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis