VERY low volume from new Velo Sub

E

Eddiwill

Audiophyte
Finally got a new sub to go with my Pioneer 9100TX. I WAS using a $90 below entry level Sony and today replaced it with a Velodyne VRP-1200. To say I am underwhelmed would be a HUGE understatment. You can barely hear the thing! Even when cranked all the way up!

I went into the receiver and boosted the sub settings to the highest possible (+10), tried various X-over settings (I usually keep it at 80). I tried both phase settings as well as adjusting the sub's cut off. It just never gets loud (and I am NO FAN of "shake-the-pictures-off-the-wall bass). The little Sony had dramatically more oomph than this big 45 pounder (albeit waaaay too boomy).

I must be doing something wrong, as this was an "open box buy" and I actually heard the thing at the store. It was very impressive. Any ideas as to what I might be up against?

(note: the Velodyne instructions say to use a Y splitter with the LFE cable, instead of just the typical "L" connection. I tried it with and without. No better)

Thanks for any input!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It might be plugged in wrong, try unplugging it(at amp) and plug it back in. It worked for my friends sub. It was wired all right, but pluging it back in made it work. Make sure the menu still says (subwoofer:YES). It might have resetted

try that, if not, send the sub back.

sheep

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure. First make sure your bass out ooption is on sub, or on both. Then try a different rca cable from sub to reciever. The Y splitter should'nt matter.

E

Eddiwill

Audiophyte
Thanks, but that was one of the first things I checked! Makes no sense-- this sucker was cranking it out just an hour or two ago at the store...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'd agree with sheep then and send it back.

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
If you heard the sub at the store and bought that exact sub, I would say the problem lies somewhere in your system, no? :confused:

Did you check that speakers are set to small also?

cam

cam

Audioholic
droeses58 said:
If you heard the sub at the store and bought that exact sub, I would say the problem lies somewhere in your system, no? :confused:

Did you check that speakers are set to small also?
I'm sure you have already double check but make sure all speakers are set to small that way your sub will come alive. Also a Y-splitter will make a difference, it will add 6db's to your sub which is probably what you need right about now.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yes a Y-splitter will raise your db level, but if his sub is barely audible at high levels there is obviously another problem here. Are you using the same outlet for your reciever and sub, if not the one to the sub may be faulty. I don't know I'm groping in the dark here, it should work fine from what you have told us.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Just a shot in the dark, but does that model have the built-in EQ or a mute button on the sub? I know some of the Velodyne's have those features and the mute could be set to different levels, like many receivers offer. Maybe the mute is engaged at a level like -40 dB?

Another thought: Is the sub's internal xover active, but turned all the way down? It really should be off or turned all the way up if you are using the receiver's bass management.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
his velo has no digial eq's. try unpplugging everything, and do a double check.

no worky, send back.

sheep

E

Eddiwill

Audiophyte
Thanks all. Speakers are still set to small, treied with the Y splitter and without, outlet is OK, cutoff is all the way up...basically the same settings on my el cheapo Sony, which I plugged in to double check, and that sucker is still putting out a LOT more. I don't get it at all. (btw, this is the EXACT sub played at the store. The guy walked over and unplugged it after the demo and I carried it out... crazy!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Eddiwill said:
Thanks, but that was one of the first things I checked! Makes no sense-- this sucker was cranking it out just an hour or two ago at the store...

The sub usually has its own volume level knob. Check it too. You probably want to reset the receiver trim pot to 0 or else it might go overboard when you find the problem :D

E

Eddiwill

Audiophyte
OK... I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot now.

I have been listening at low-to-moderate levels with primarily CDs and DVD-Audio. The bass is there, but I felt it was low (though clearly MUCH tighter than the lil Sony).

This morning, after the kids got up, I put in The Incredibles (same scene as was demoed at the store) and that thing damn near woke the dead!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm now thinking a good sub shouldn't seem TOO loud with music, but should provide depth and definition (particularly if your mains can go fairly low and Paradigm Titans are pretty good with that. Of course, when I crank the receiver, the sub DOES keep up. It's just that I'm rarely afforded that opportunity (WAF).

Does that make sense-- or am I MORE of an idiot that I thought?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Eddiwill said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm now thinking a good sub shouldn't seem TOO loud with music, but should provide depth and definition (particularly if your mains can go fairly low and Paradigm Titans are pretty good with that. Of course, when I crank the receiver, the sub DOES keep up. It's just that I'm rarely afforded that opportunity (WAF).

Does that make sense-- or am I MORE of an idiot that I thought?
I had the same experience when I got my HSU VTF2 4 years ago. It did not seen loud enough. I talked to the dealer who sold me the sub and said I did not like the VTF 2 and I think I want to return it. He said "What???! nobody does not like the VTF2!" Like yourself I thought if I cranked up the sub it would over whelm the music instead of augmenting it. I now have the volume on the sub set at 8 o'clock and zero on the receiver and it rattles the walls with movies and fills in the bottom end of music wonderfully. I have learned that with music a sub should be transperent and only noticed by it's absence were you to disconnect it.

E

Eddiwill

Audiophyte
Yes! That's it exactly. My lack of experience with subs was just giving me an incorrect expectation. I think I'll play with some calibration and get it just right and try it on some other discs this evening.

Thanks all!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Nick250 said:
I have learned that with music a sub should be transperent and only noticed by it's absence were you to disconnect it.
Bingo! Truer words were never spoken.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
cam said:
I'm sure you have already double check but make sure all speakers are set to small that way your sub will come alive. Also a Y-splitter will make a difference, it will add 6db's to your sub which is probably what you need right about now.

how does the y splitter add 6 db's? and what kind of splitter, just the cheap ones?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
jetyi83 said:
how does the y splitter add 6 db's? and what kind of splitter, just the cheap ones?
The signal is split into two and the sub will sum them back to mono. Summing doubles the voltage which results in approximately a 6 dB increase (minus any minimal signal loss from the split).

9f9c7z

Banned
Went to Pioneers website, didn’t find a manual online for a 9100-anything. What I was looking for was menus/filters that allow you to bias the sub’s output. I had the same prob as the query here, turned out in the pre/pro the spkr setup menu has a sub output bias/filter, default was set at 0db, but I overlooked a similar adjustment in the THX setup menu. It had the sub filter on and set at –50db. Turned that filter off and the sub came alive. If was one of those things were after a couple hrs of frustration I finally gave up and read the instructions, and got it to work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis