Verizon FIOS Cable Card

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
I'm having Verizon FIOS installed.

My TV supports a Cable Card slot in the back and is HD ready (Mitsubishi 57732).

To get the HD channels, do I need the HD set top box, or just the cable card? Does the cable card support all the digital channels?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm having Verizon FIOS installed.

My TV supports a Cable Card slot in the back and is HD ready (Mitsubishi 57732).

To get the HD channels, do I need the HD set top box, or just the cable card? Does the cable card support all the digital channels?
If you are getting the high speed Internet with it, let us know how fast it really is:D

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the STB is required to receive the HD channels. The CC only allows the digitals signals to be received.

I've noticed that on the latest crop of TVs that many of the manufacturers have discontinued CC support.

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
Yes, the STB is required to receive the HD channels. The CC only allows the digitals signals to be received.

I've noticed that on the latest crop of TVs that many of the manufacturers have discontinued CC support.
Your post is what makes me curious. The TV has a Digital tuner built in, and if the CC unencrypts the digital signal, then wouldn't the TV be able to tune in to them by itself? We don't use PPV or On Demand or any of that stuff.

Not sure it really matters, I went ahead and ordered the HD tuner with the built-in PVR.

I'm an IT guy by trade, so I can definitely let ya'll know how the FIOS bandwidth ends up on the internet side. I only bought the 5 down 2 up, but if it's unshared then :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the CC allows the unscrambled digital, and some HD, signal to pass and the TV can tune them in. But there are other higher level encrypted HD channels that require the STB and usually an additional charge for HD service to get them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, the CC allows the unscrambled digital, and some HD, signal to pass and the TV can tune them in. But there are other higher level encrypted HD channels that require the STB and usually an additional charge for HD service to get them.
No wonder some friends are impressed with viewing the digital channels free.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis