velodyne strange sound

V

vaileric

Audiophyte
I have an HGS15THX Ultra2. The other day there was a power outage/surge in town. The sub was in the auto on mode and plugged into a surge protector. The sub was not being used at the time of the power disruption but after the power came back on to the home it started making a weird noise and would not work. The noise sounds kinda like a small air compressor you might use to fill a tire or raft. I unplugged it and left it over night. It still makes that noise when you turn it on and it doesn’t go away. I tried plugging it into a different outlet and don’t have it connected to the receiver and it still makes this sound. Any thoughts?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like the amp is fried, which is not unusual for power surges, and surge protectors are not 100% effective.

You might want to call/email and see what Velo charges to repair them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an HGS15THX Ultra2. The other day there was a power outage/surge in town. The sub was in the auto on mode and plugged into a surge protector. The sub was not being used at the time of the power disruption but after the power came back on to the home it started making a weird noise and would not work. The noise sounds kinda like a small air compressor you might use to fill a tire or raft. I unplugged it and left it over night. It still makes that noise when you turn it on and it doesn’t go away. I tried plugging it into a different outlet and don’t have it connected to the receiver and it still makes this sound. Any thoughts?
Also, you might want to contact the surge maker and tell them it failed to protect. As well, call your power company and see if you get answers as to how bad the surge was.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis