G

gbiggs

Audiophyte
What are your thoughts on this Sub. For the money, Roughly $1000, is this the best sub out there for the price? What other Velodynes would compete with this sub?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Why don't you go for one of their servo controlled subs? Servo control makes an audible difference in bass quality.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
For the price i would check the Yamaha YST-SW1500, this thing sounds awsome, and has the Active Servo Processing System of Yamaha. You'll really enjoy a session of music with this sub.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Someone correct me if I am wrong. But isn't the Velodyne SPL a sealed model? If so, I prefer sealed subs compared to ported ones.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I do believe that the Velodyne is a sealed model. However, it also has a monster of a power amp (I think something like 2000 watts :eek: )

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
The Velodyne digital servo subs have even more monstrous power ratings. But they also carry a monster of a price tag. ;)

G

gbiggs

Audiophyte
Servo Controlled Sub

Thanks for everyone's help! This is the best forum on the planet to get some good advice on equipment. Question: What is a Servo controlled Sub?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Servo is some kind of feedback control. I'm not technically oriented, but servo control is supposed to give better control over woofer movement.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Almost all the Servo Controlled subwoofers i've heard are more musical. And yes, the Yamaha YST-SW1500 is ported, but give an opportunity to it. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. I don't know what is the word in English for the big bass instrument that old jazz bands used to play, but in Spanish this instrument is called "Contrabajo" and in the Yammie it sounded very rich, deep, profound, very musical.

I heard a Velodyne with the same record and it sounded to me punchy and not as natural as the Yamaha did.

Just a suggestion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis