Velodyne SPL-1200 Series II Review!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>We were so enamored with the compact, yet high performing Velodyne SPL-800 that we requested its big brother. Discover the capabilities and performance of the new Velodyne SPL-1200 Series II subwoofer in Clint’s detailed review.

Velodyne SPL-1200 Series II Review!</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Nice review and nice sub! I love the finish, it looks like my Energy E: XL S12! I like the piano finishes.

Does it cost extra to get that finish over others?

Ahh well, I'll take two anyway &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Believe it or not, that piano finish is called &quot;black&quot; and costs the same as the cherry or maple.

I've seen the SPL unit on sale for considerably less than the $1499 advertised, but you want to check and be sure it's a manufacturer authorized dealer.</font>

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>How does it compare to the new Paradigm Seismic-12?</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Believe it or not, that piano finish is called &quot;black&quot; and costs the same as the cherry or maple.

I've seen the SPL unit on sale for considerably less than the $1499 advertised, but you want to check and be sure it's a manufacturer authorized dealer.</font>
<font color='#000000'>why is it that it has to be or should be an authorized dealer?

Is that for confirmation your not getting a fake product?</font>

A

Audio1

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Andreas,

I purchased and returned the Velodyne SPL-1200 series II in favor of the Paradigm Seismic 12. Maybe it is just my environment, but in my opinion the Seismic 12 is far superior and it is also easier to get a better price on it.
The low frequency authority and the overall sound of the Seismic 12 is spectacular.  My wife, who is not into this at all, could not believe the difference as well.  The Paradigm weights about 69 pounds and in my opinion, especially considering its modest size, does everything just right. I simply was not overwhelmed at the quality of sound, tonally or output oriented of the SPL-12II.  I know this is quite the opposite opinion of the review, but it is my evaluation in direct comparison of the two products.

Buddy</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
ThA tRiXtA : <font color='#000000'>why is it that it has to be or should be an authorized dealer?

Is that for confirmation you're not getting a fake product?</font>
<font color='#000080'>Warranty &amp; support reasons only. If a voided warranty and product support doesn't matter to you then the advice about sticking with authorized dealers isn't as important.</font>

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Audio 1,

I'm not surprised with your assessment of the Seismic series of Paradigm's subs.

Paradigm spent years developing the Seismic subs.
2 years ago I was told by local Toronto audio shops that the release of the subs was iminent.
Apparently Paradigm wanted to get them right and kept delaying the Seismics release.

What is the size of your room?

I was thinking of buying the Seismic-10 (to be released in a few weeks) because of my room size.

My room is 13'wx16'Lx9.5'h

Is my room considered medium or small?

Thx

Andreas</font>

A

Audio1

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Andreas,

My room is a little bit larger, but it is not a closed area, it opens up into a larger living area.  Typical Florida open floor plan.  Other subwoofers that I have used, including the Velodyne, caused unwanted vibrations and resonances in my room that were quite annoying.  The Paradigm Seismic has such a low resonant frequency that all of these issues have literally disappeared.

Interestingly enough, with very little set-up time, the Paradigm blends seamlessly with the L-C-R speakers.  based on my experience with this product I would go for the 12&quot; model.  It is not huge, and when something sounds this good I would want as much quantity as possible.  

Most subwoofers do not sound good unless crossed over at a very low cut-off frequency.  This one, however, does and as a matter of fact I find myself using more  of this sub than I have from previous models I have owned.

See if your dealer will let you take home one of the two models and try it out.  Even though your room is on the smaller side I feel the 12&quot; model may work just fine.  Since it has passive radiators in lieu of ports it seems to be less sensitive of room size.

I hope this rambling helps.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Buddy</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis