bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
So I've been talking with you guys recently about the set up I ordered for my self and the one my Dad ordered for his living room. I got the Polk PSW505 and he ordered the Velodyne DPS-12. He already offered to trade me his Polk RTi12 fronts for my Infinity Beta 50's. I told him thanks but I could not accept. First off I don't have a receiver capable of really pushing the rti12's second, I already ordered the matching Infinity center channel speaker. Most importantly though, I want him to have the Polks cause they are real wood and cherry in color. It will match the kitchen perfectly and therefore make my Mom happy. He has recently offered to trade me his Velodyne for my Polk sub. He is doing this simply to be nice and the only reason I would consider it is because he will never listen to movies loud and isn't really concerned with big bass. I however, am a total bass head and love loud explosions that you can really feel ect... So what do you guys think? Is the DPS-12 better than the PSW505? I know there was a post similar to this one but its been a while and I wanted to see if anyone had either experience with these two subs or just thoughts regarding which you would rather have. I have heard the 505 and like it a whole lot but I have also read some neagative things about it on this forum. I don't have a lot of experience with velodyne and since his sub is ordered and not actually at his house yet it will take a little while before I can hear it. One last thought, even if I had a receiver capable of pushing the rti12's I would not trade him because while I love the beta 50's I want him to have the better front speakers. He deserves it more and I think he will appreciate sound from his music from those speakers more than he knows. Thanks a lot in advance

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I say take the Velo. Better box, Better Amp, Better driver, DSP controlled, Better finish.

I know this subwoofer will play fairly loud, louder then a PSW505 thats for sure.

SheepStar

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
The output from this device is a little boomy in the bottom end, but, overall, it is not to bad. It lacks definition in the lower octaves but this is true of most long throw drivers. Overall the sound is quite good and it can deliver bass that can be felt.

The DPS-12 has a number of very nice features. It has both anti clipping circuitry and overdrive protection, which prevents it from being damaged by an over enthusiastic owner. :D It also has a fully defeatable crossover with a direct setting, which is what it should be set to if you have a digital receiver. It can also accept both line level and speaker level inputs. The DSP-12, like most Velodyne products, is DSP controlled to lower distortion and provide a better sound. The fit and finish, as on most Velodyne products, is outstanding.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
loserwife said:
The output from this device is a little boomy in the bottom end, but, overall, it is not to bad. It lacks definition in the lower octaves but this is true of most long throw drivers. Overall the sound is quite good and it can deliver bass that can be felt.

The DPS-12 has a number of very nice features. It has both anti clipping circuitry and overdrive protection, which prevents it from being damaged by an over enthusiastic owner. :D It also has a fully defeatable crossover with a direct setting, which is what it should be set to if you have a digital receiver. It can also accept both line level and speaker level inputs. The DSP-12, like most Velodyne products, is DSP controlled to lower distortion and provide a better sound. The fit and finish, as on most Velodyne products, is outstanding.
The DSP-10 started to loose it below 25Hz, Well below its stated 28Hz Bass extension. Although, its was at 29% THD @ 20Hz @ 100dB.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/velodyne-dps-10-subwoofer-8-2004.html

You can expect better performance from the DSP-12.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis