Velodyne or better Sub

G

gbiggs

Audiophyte
If you had to make a resonable pick for a Velodyne Sub in a mid-to-large sized room. What would you go with? Reasonable meaning a sub around $500 to $1000. Can I put a sub near the TV or my standing Klipsh speakers?

I have a Dennon 3805 Reciever, and Klipsh large fronts and two small backs.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I read that the Velodyne digital servo subs are great. The lower priced models are not that great.

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Standing Klipch speakers I've heard in the past have had strong bass response. Are you looking to further re-enforce the bass response for movie explosions, or are you looking to get lower frequencies for music and nearly sub-sonic effects? Your expectations will dictate the dollars :(

I'm of the camp that a sub isn't a sub unless it gets into the low 30's at the very least - preferably the 20's or lower. But to do that costs money. Cheap subs seem to bloat out at around 45Hz or so, which would do nothing more than re-enforce the bass you probably already have.

The latest trick to watch out for that many companies are starting to do is they're rating their subwoofer frequency response as "in room," which is not a real rating since they don't bother to define the room that would produce these theoretical results.

If you do buy an inexpensive sub, buy from a store that has a 30 day satisfaction return policy so you can try it out in your room with your system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis