VELODYNE MINIvee question

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am just looking to maybe replace my current Martin Logan Grotto. Space is a big concern to me since I am in a small 15-11 room. This is just for 2.1 audio. I have read a lot the past two days on the Velodyne Minivee. Doe this little package really compete with all those others big boys in the price range? I't very tempting to me since it's small and I don't want to go larger than my Grotto... The Grotto is shaped like a stop light. Placement is easy. Just curious as I was also looking at the normal SVS, Rythmik, HSU, RBH, ETC out there.

On a side note from me.. I have an issue that the power cord is not detachable. Just don't care for these since running cables and replacement is always better when you can take it off.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think I would keep the Grotto, unless there's something wrong with it.

Small subwoofers just cannot keep up with the larger ones, it's a lesson I've learned the hard way. I'd read and read about how awesome a compact subwoofer was supposed to be, then I'd get it and be supremely underwhelmed with it.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
What speakers are you going to use them with? The minivee will only extend to around 30hz or so. It certainly doesn't compete with other big boys in the price range but you are paying a premium for the small package.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My speakers are Ascend Acoustics RAAL Towers.
Seth... The Grotto needs to go back to my HT set up that's why I am playing around still for the last year of getting a new one. Can't seem to find what I want. Small foot print would be nice but a 10 or 12in Max would work.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Think about going DIY using this driver. Build a small but heavily braced enclosure for it. Give it a 1 kW+ amp. Then enjoy a small sub that annihilates the minivee.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Think about going DIY using this driver. Build a small but heavily braced enclosure for it. Give it a 1 kW+ amp. Then enjoy a small sub that annihilates the minivee.
Yeesh, that thing looks like it could tear the ears off a gundark.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I think the surround has more area than the driver cone!

Specs at 75lbs and 14X14X14 (maybe boxed dimensions?)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ematthews,
I have a pair of these.
Definitely not there for HT, but for music, they are about perfect!
They (and equivalent Velodyne VMS-8) are no longer in production, however, the evaluation may help you know what to expect.
Here is a review with measurements (predates Josh's measurements:():
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/photon-8-subwoofer

You can also take advantage of Amazon free returns to try one an Energy ESW-C8. It is very nice for it's dimensions. It definitely outperforms the Dayton Audio SUB-800 (tighter and deeper!). Be sure to order from a company that uses Amazon for fulfillment to get the easy return policy (eMall currently qualifies).
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-C8-8-Inch-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B0021L9BMO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452110581&sr=1-2&keywords=energy+esw

Don't remember where you live, but if over my way, I have a couple of pairs of nice small subs you can check out.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeesh, that thing looks like it could tear the ears off a gundark.
Here is a video describing the HST-11 with a demo of its excursion. You will not get more displacement for a smaller cone- 38 mm xmax! Given its capabilities, it is actually very cheaply priced. If I had to have a small sub, it is what I would go for. You could get one, an iNuke 3000DSP, and everything else you need for the subwoofer build for less than the cost of a minivee. Needless to say, that would smoke a Minivee.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a video describing the HST-11 with a demo of its excursion. You will not get more displacement for a smaller cone- 38 mm xmax! Given its capabilities, it is actually very cheaply priced. If I had to have a small sub, it is what I would go for. You could get one, an iNuke 3000DSP, and everything else you need for the subwoofer build for less than the cost of a minivee. Needless to say, that would smoke a Minivee.
Wow, I watched another video of it in a cabinet and it looks like it's going to rip the surround from the outer ring of the basket.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Obviously you do not want to drive it that hard in normal circumstances, and I am sure that was well past xmax and nearing xmech. The nice thing about all that enormous excursion is that it gives this 11" driver as much linear displacement as a good 15". It's like putting a 15" driver into a 0.5 ft^3 enclosure. Thanks to the high motor force of the driver, it can work in an enclosure only slightly larger than itself.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As long as the cabinet is sturdy, I don't think massive bracing is necessary. The panels are not going to be large. There wouldn't be much room for bracing anyway. The only thing I would worry about is cabinet rocking. Some spike feet on a rug will take care of that though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was mainly joking. Not sure what is common method of joinery, but screw and glue should do fine.

Crazy glue and nails, I would not trust.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis