Velodyne Introduces Low Cost Rear Ported VRP Subwoofers

Velodyne announced today its new line of VRP (Velodyne Rear Ported) Subwoofers by releasing two new models. The VRP-1000 features a 10" forward firing driver (8.2" piston diameter) and the VRP-1200 features a 12" forward firing driver (9.7" piston diameter). Both are finished in black ash with a stylish hourglass front grille and high gloss black accents. The VRP-1000 has a MSRP of just $349 while the VRP-1200 comes in at around $449.

These subs mark a big departure for Velodyne by entering into a lower price point - something that is sure to result in the Velodyne name being introduced into households where it was previously thought unaffordable. We look forward to hearing how these new units perform and seeing what kind of value they bring to the home theater market.

Get More Details

U

Unregistered

power

why is it that those subwoofers have no power yet in the preview it says endless reserves of dynamic power?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
To be quite honest these subs look like crap! A 12 that only goes down to 29hz and a 10 to 35hz. My Paradigm 10 was only 349.00 and is rated to 28hz. I had a CHT 10 a while back and it sucked. I would stay away frome these subs, there are better deals out there.

A

Audio1

Audioholic Intern
I think that Velodyne should stick to mid to higher end performance oriented products exclusively. Products like this only weaken the brand image and like others have said, there are already too many products that perform well at this price point. I am not even a fan of the SPL series, my Paradigm Seismic 12 kills it.

U

Unregistered

jeffsg4mac said:
To be quite honest these subs look like crap! A 12 that only goes down to 29hz and a 10 to 35hz. My Paradigm 10 was only 349.00 and is rated to 28hz. I had a CHT 10 a while back and it sucked. I would stay away frome these subs, there are better deals out there.
What would you (or anyone for that matter) suggest? I can find a CHT-10 for around $200. That's really as much as I have to spend right now. Is there a better value for the money? What about $250? I know this is a tight budget but I figure there has to be something that would work well. I guess I was trusting that the CHT-10 at $200 was a pretty good deal because it's a Velodyne.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
In my opinion, the CT/CHT subs rock. I know my CT-120 rocks my house.

U

Unregistered

i agree

the vpr's suck as we all can agree,
but the cht series is awesome for the buck.
i heard the cht 8 and futureshop and it filled hte room with clean bass that was tight.

i would like a little more dynamic power considering my exl s8 has the same as the 12 inch version, but all in all it has lower FR and probly has bettter sound quality.

U

Unregistered

I just purchased a VRP 1200, it's going right back to the store. It as no power or punch to it. Volume is turned up apporx. 75% anthing more gives too much boomy sound.

U

Unregistered

I returned the VRP 1200 and just got the CHT-12. There a big difference between the two. The CHT-12 is by far the better sub.

annunaki

annunaki

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but room placement highly dictates frequency response. Placement in the room can allow a woofer to play substantially deeper than what it is rated for as well as cause unwanted peaks and valleys in response. The VRP may or may not be a boomy sounding subwoofer, but there are other factors to figure in before jumping to a conclusion or recommendation. To truly evaluate a powered subwoofer with enclosure, one would have to test in a room with no response enhancing/degrading characteristics, a.k.a. an anechoic chamber. One would also have to use the same source material, electronics, volume levels, ect. Before anyone come to a conclusion about anything sit back and look at any points that could skew a comparison. Good day guys and gals. :)

U

Unregistered

I'm the guy who returend the VRP 1200 and got the CHT-12. The sub is in the exact same positon using the same equipment, Yamaha RX-V1400 with the same settings, (absolutely nothing has changed). The CHT-12 is significantly better. You can definitely HEAR the difference and FEEL the difference.

S

sheep

agreed

i have a rear ported energy 8 inch sub, and it goes down to 29hz on paper. that 12 inch velodyne is rear ported and it goes down to 28hz on paper. so this is strictly comparing paper stats and the 8 inch is not far off, and it has 400 watts of dynamic power and its quicker because its smaller. so i would rather pay 230 for a sub that is off by one hert.

annunaki

annunaki

I never said that the VRP-1200 would be better than the CHT-12. I was just explaining that there can be other factors that come into play. However, for more money (retail) the CHT-12 should outperform the VRP-1200, as you have found to be true.

Also, an 8" driver is not "faster" than a 12" driver. An eight will play higher up the frequency band more accurately (like above 100hz because of a smaller cone having to cover less distance, which is frequency dependent) but other than that, it is not faster. If an 8" subwoofer plays a 35hz note faster than a 12" driver (meaning it moves faster than 35 cycles per second) it would not be producing 35hz any more therefore rendering it inaccurate. By "faster", I am also assuming you mean transient response. In many cases people will perceive a smaller woofer to be "faster" because it has a higher crossover point, plays higher up the frequency band, and /or may actually have a peaky response curve.

G

gbiggs

Audiophyte
Just Bought a Velodyne 1200, and now I am concerned

I just order a VRP 1200 on-line for $266, but as I read this discussion, I have become very concerned about my purchase. Since this is my first Sub purchase, I am afraid I won't know if it sound is poor or not. Does anybody have a VRP 1200 they like. What velodyne would you choose for are 15X30 room? Any suggestions on preffered subs around $500 would be greatly appreciated.

J

johnu

Enthusiast
annunaki said:
Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but room placement highly dictates frequency response. Placement in the room can allow a woofer to play substantially deeper than what it is rated for as well as cause unwanted peaks and valleys in response.
I think that would only relevant if you placed the sub with better specs in a bad location, and the sub with poor specs in the best location. If you placed both subs in the best locations, the sub with better specs would clearly play deeper since both would benefit from room placement.

annunaki

annunaki

Quite true Johnu. But if port placement on the enclosure changes this could cause thing to change as well. Though I doubt they would be drastic.

G

gbiggs

Audiophyte
Reasonable Velodyne Sub

If you had to make a resonable pick for a Velodyne Sub in a mid-to-large sized room. What would you go with? Reasonable meaning a sub around $500 to $1000.

annunaki

annunaki

I am not sure of the price, but the DLS-R and the SPL Series II come to mind, 12" that is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis