VCR recording and the Yamaha RX V2400

W

wizard1012

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>A few months ago I finally set up my HT, with various amts of help from members of this board. Still learning though guys/gals thanks. Now my current problem. I set everything up according to the manual, running all my components thru the Yamaha. Up until last night I never had a reason to try and record using my VCR, Sony SLV-N700. But I tried to record something last night. Nothing came out. I sat there and tried to record, not simply setting a timer. First off I must assume that since I have the VCR connected into the Yamha, I must record while my HT is on. No more simply turning on the TV, and recording that way right? Next I had the Yammy on, set to cable/sat. Picture okay on TV, inserted tape, set VCR to line 1 in, hit record. Let it record for a minute or so. Rewind, play......No picture. But I did pick up the audio. If I insert a pre-recorded tape it plays fine. I thought the blank tape was bad, changed tapes...nothing. I tried playing around with settings....TV set to Sat w/o running the HT, and VCR set to record....Nothing. &nbsp; &nbsp;Yammy on, set to VCR1, TV set to Sat....nothing.. There are 3 choices for input on the VCR...LINE 1...LINE2..Chan3 &nbsp;The only one that picked up anything was LINE1, and that was audio only from the recording. I'm going skiing (Big Boulder) for 2 days figured I'd leave this query while I was gone. What else could I troubleshoot. Or does anyone have an answer or had a similar problem. Or am I simply having a &quot;moment&quot;. Thanks
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Sounds like your not getting a video feed to your VCR. &nbsp;Sounds like your getting audio so you probably got a video line mixed or not set up properly. &nbsp; You need to give us some more details on how you have every thing connected between your cable box, TV, Receiver and VCR.

Since your going to be gone for a couple of days,

I also just used my VCR for the first time since getting my RX-V1400. &nbsp;I have the exact opposite problem. I get video but no audio playback through my receiver. &nbsp;I can turn the actual TV up during playback and get sound but no receiver sound. I'm pretty sure I have everything hooked up correctly. Maybe there is a setting on the receiver I have missed. &nbsp;I am recording the sound, I just can't get it back through the receiver. &nbsp; I have standard RCA lines connecting the VCR to the receiver. I have two runs between the VCR's in and outs and the Receiver's VCR1 in and outs. &nbsp;This should be all I need to get basic sound and video from the VCR. &nbsp;Like I said, I am recording the sound because I can get audio from my TV, just not through the receiver. &nbsp;

Any thoughts? &nbsp;

Sorry for the hijack. &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

JVC

JVC

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I have everything going straight from my satellite to my vcr, for recording, then to my receiver, for playback. If you only have one output on the sat receiver, you can use &quot;Y&quot; adapters for the audio hookups (one side of &quot;Y&quot; going to vcr, and the other going to receiver) I'm taking it for granted that you're using red &amp; white and yellow rca cables, for hookup......... Remember too, if you're recording with stereo hookup, put and leave vcr on L1 input (or AUX.1, whichever term your's uses), instead of channel 3, and set sat to channel you want to record. If you're using just the RF coax cable, set vcr to channel 3(or4) and leave it there. There really is no need to go thru receiver, for recording.

In case it was confusing.......
Connect one &quot;Y&quot; adapter in left audio output of sat receiver. Run cable from one leg of &quot;Y&quot; to the left audio input on vcr and the other leg of the &quot;Y&quot; to the left audio input for sat/tv on receiver. Then do the same thing for the right audio inputs. Then run left &amp; right audio out from vcr to the L/R audio inputs for vcr on HT receiver(for playback). Then run the yellow rca cable straight from sat to vcr video input, and a yellow rca cable out to tv input (input #2 on tv, if Input #1 is used by HT system).

Hope this helped, without being too confusing. &nbsp;
</font>

JVC

JVC

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Shinerman.........
Have you double checked to make sure the input has been enabled in the HT receiver's setup menus?</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>No, I have not.  I will check it tonight.  

Shinerman</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have the yamaha RX-V1400 and both SONY VCR and DVDR and when I read through everything I think it goes like this:

If the signal is coming in component it goes out via component/S-video/composite/F connection.
If it comes in S-video it goes out S/composite/F connection and down

If it comes in composite it goes out composite/F connection

So, if your signal is one thing and you are trying to use a higher order output you will not receive a signal through the Yamaha.

The same thing for audio digital in/digital out; analog in/analog out only.

hope someone else can validate or correct this impression I have.</font>

W

wizard1012

Audiophyte
<font color='#728FCE'>Okay, I'm confused. I have read and read, but still somewhat perplexed. I appreciate the responses. What I cannot offer at this time is how I setup the wiring (I forgot) and can't easily reach the back of the receiver. (I will pull it out) BUT, I have read that since my VCR DOES NOT have s-video output/input than this would be a cause to my problem. I vaguely understand that the Yammy accepts all components to be plugged into the receiver, and processes the signals. But since my VCR does not have s-video capabilities I would not be able to get the video signal...Right?
If I remember somewhat I believe the cables run this way.....Satellite cable (from roof) to Monster Power antennae in....Monster out....to Yamaha in.... to satellite box.
If I wanted to simply delete the VCR from my HT, and use it with TV only how would I set that up.The vcr is 95% used for children's older vhs cartoon movies/shows. Then occasionally I would record a movie on vhs to be used in the car on a portable vcr player. There really is NO great need to playing these tapes thru the HT.
Any ideas?
&nbsp;
</font>

J

jzac

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hey Wizard and Shinerman,

I have the v2400 with the Dish (receiver 322) and my stereo VCR running through the receiver working just fine. I record stuff off the Dish and it's ok. All i did was use the audio outs of the VCR to the In's of the vcr input jacks on the receiver, and the video out of the VCR to the vcr In on the receiver. The video is displayed on channel 4 on my TV while the Dish program is displayed on channel 3.

I have the Dish running through my vcr with the audio out of the Dish receiver to the Ins of the receiver's CBL/SAT inputs. That's pretty much it. I press the DTV component button to see and hear everything. I set the vcr to channel 3 for recording, and whatever channel on my dish program i want to record i leave it at that, and it records even when everything is off. I record on a weekly basis. Hope this info helps.

</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>According to my manual, the satellite box need to be between the antenna and the reciever. &nbsp;The Sat box video outputs (component, S, and composite - use all three if they are there) go directly to the receiver. &nbsp;Also, the Sat box should have it's own audio outputs (digital and analog stereo) &nbsp;which also go directly to the receiver. &nbsp;Plugging the VCR into it's own jacks on the back of the receiver (again, use all audio and video jacks you have). &nbsp;I have a similar setup and the only thing I noticed is what I mentioned in my previous post on this thread.</font>

W

wizard1012

Audiophyte
<font color='#728FCE'>Not sure if what I did would be correct in the hT dept. but it seems to work.
I pulled out the unit and looked. All the connections were correct. There is no s-video on the VCR. According to the manual the Yamaha should decode non s video to composite. Anyway whay I ended up doing was runninga coax cable from the Satellite box out, to the VCR In. Then I played around and found if you set the VCR to channel 3 it records. I can also record while the Yamaha HT system is off, as well as the TV. I guess this will work. However I need to play back while using the HT system. That is fine. Any opinions, and thanks for the help.
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis