T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Still looking for a new sub, finally have the $$. Local guy suggested Vandersteen V2W. Am also looking at SVS and Axiom ( although members seem to have cooled off on Axiom??) Room is LONG (18 x 34 ) but home theatre is in one corner, so we are 18 feet from TV/stereo. Room is enclosed except for a stairwell entrance at he far end. Budget is +/- $1500
Never heard of vandersteen, although all articles on internet are from years past?????? Please help>>>>>>

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have a full Vandersteen system with two subs. They are the 2Wq variety. If you want full range music I suggest it over the V2W. They are the same price. The 2Wq is tighter with less boom and lots of power. It has an adjustable q as well as an adjustable crossover component included. I adjust the q low for musi(about 0.7) and raise it for movies that go boom. There is a lot of power for my 15x20x8' room.

The adjustable crossover makes bass management easier if your receiver is limited in that regard. The 2Wq will require that you have separate prepro and amp or at least preamp out and amp in on your receiver since this is where the crossover goes.

I find that I can shake my room quite nicely and bass music is incredible with the subs which are not at all boomy. They integrate well with many speaker designs. With that volume of space you may wish to have two subs instead of one. Two subs will usually even out the bass response throughout the room and provide more power. If you can't imagine buying a second Vandersteen in the future, perhaps two $750 subs would work better.

Overall Vandersteen speakers are not the most beautiful, but are extremely well built and designed. I know of no one who owns them and does not love them. What is the rest of your gear?

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the insight!!. The dealer is about a 2 hour drive so I'm going to drive out and check it out. I'm using a yamaha RXV-2600 to drive it, but may upgrade it to a pre-amp ( Rotel? ) set up ( again the local ) salesman. I'll will be able to afford a second speaker in about 6 months. So much hype for the SVS it makes one doubt.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis