Vandersteen 2CE Sig & 3A Sig

H

harcon55

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm considering auditioning these two speakers as replacements for my dedicated two-channel setup. I'm presently using Wharfedale Emerald 99's. Unfortunately my local dealer (St. Louis) only stocks the 2CE Signature for audition. As my listening area is small (approximately 12 x 14 x 8) would the 3A Sigs be too large? The next closest dealer would be Indianapolis or Chicago where I could audition the 3A Sigs - a distance driving time of 6 to 8 hours one way.

-Harcon55

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
The size is not that much larger but there is a big price increase, for that amount of price difference it might be wise to audition both and pick which one you like.

K

KFG14

Enthusiast
Have you considered Vanderteen 1C's?

I purchased the 1C's a few months ago and absolutely love them. A lot cheaper then the other two but they may go better in your room. I have them setup in a room a little larger with higher ceilings and they sound superb.

Good luck.

Kevin

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Vandersteen 3A Sig is IMO much better than the 2CE Sig. My brother owns a pair of 3A Sigs, and we listened to both models extensively. Both create images extremely well. In fact, these Vandersteen speakers are the world champions at imaging. I've never listened to the Vandersteen 1s or 5s.

The 2CE Sigs did have a noticeable bass emphasis, that was not unpleasant. The 3A Sig corrected this with improved midrange driver, tweeter and crossovers, creating a better balance in sound, without being too bright sounding.

The price of the 3A Sig is also much more than the 2CE Sig. Be aware that the 3A Sig price includes heavy duty stands, and the 2CE Sig price does not. So add the price of the stands before you compare the prices. You will have to decide for yourself if it is worth the difference. Both of these speakers do well with lots of power, at least 100 watts/channel.

Good luck finding a dealer. Once you hear them, you won't regret the effort it took to find them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis