M

Mega2000

Audioholic
i run the auto setup and everything looks fine except the crossover freq is set to the max 200mhz, should i leave everything the way the autosetup sets it or should i make the crossover freq the THX recommended 80mhz?

also, can you have different setting for movie playback and CD/SACD playback or are all the levels set across the board?

it's time to go home... YES!!!

Last edited:
K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
The crossover setting is entirely dependent on your speakers capability.
Generally you should have all you speakers set to SMALL and then the crossover should be set so that all your speakers intergrate nicely with your sub. 200Hz seems a bit high, but really, YOU need to find the right setting by a few tests and by listening. You may find that 80Hz is to low or just right. But don't favour 80Hz just because it is THX reccomended :)

And with the different settings for SACD playback as oppsed to DVD movie playback, i think the setting are set across the board.
I am not sure how you have your DVD player hooked up to the 2500, but if it is via analog connections, set the levels, distance, BM on the DVD player (if possible) so that everything sounds great for SACD and DVD-A. And then set you 2500 so that everything is great for movies.
otherwise, you'll need something like the Receiver Editor from yamaha and a computer hooked up to the 2500. That way you can store different settings on the PC and then change them on the 2500 with the click of a button when needed.

Anyways . . .

Cheers
KJ

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Mega2000 said:
i run the auto setup and everything looks fine except the crossover freq is set to the max 200mhz, should i leave everything the way the autosetup sets it or should i make the crossover freq the THX recommended 80mhz?

also, can you have different setting for movie playback and CD/SACD playback or are all the levels set across the board?

it's time to go home... YES!!!

First, I know what you mean about it's time to go home. Could not wait to get home and tweak/play with my yammie. Pardon the pun. Anyways, do an auto setup. Save that setting. You are allowed to save six settings and recall them for later use. REMEMBER, when you save a setting it saves which surround/decoding mode you are on! So watch a movie on a movie/cinema setting and the save for movies. Then play some music whether it be 2 ch or multi or even a concert video. Set recv'r to a surround mode with desirable decoding for music rather than video/movie. On the remote you are able to access memory one and two directly. The other 4 settings can be accessed via your GUI/ onscreen menu. From the initial auto setup setting which you saved, play around with the equilization part and then save those settings as memory 2, or 3, etc. Again, remember which mode and decoding you have chosen befor you adjust and save setting. There should not be any need at all to readjust the distance, wiring, size, etc settings as long as you are still using the same spkrs, right?. Right. So, just play around with the eq, size, and x-over freq cutoff. I use power towers and set mains, center to lrg and surrounds to small with bass set to front with a 120hz cutoff. Remember, I have power towers(built in subs that x-over at 125 or so). Since you have a seperate sub? you should set 2500's bass management to Sub or even Both. This auto setup thing is a bit overrated if you ask me. I mean it does what it is supposed to do but the equilization/tonal balance is not to impressive in my case. I did auto setup and then accessed the settings and reset the eq section to flat on all speakers! From there I tweeked my mains, then center, followed by the surrounds. I got much better results than the recv'r doing it for me. Take care.

Last edited:
G

Guanche

Audiophyte
LFE, Bass out, Large/small, crossover freq

I think the auto setup feature of the 2500 is pretty accurate, at least according to my ears. But I do have a few observations/questions, and they have to do mostly with the bass management part of the whole process.

I started out with a full automatic YPAO set up with a "flat" setting in stereo 2 mode. The results, to my ears, are pretty balanced. But when I look into the details of the auto-found settings here's what I find:

1. My main speakers are set to Large, which should be correct even though I read the article here advising against it.

2. My center is set to large, which I think is wrong, but sounds "good" nevertheless.

3. Surrounds are small, which makes sense.

4. Bass out is set to "Both" meaning bass is directed to both my sub and my main speakers. This is altered by the automatic setup, because I do set this parameter manually to "Sub only" before I start the auto analysis.

5. Crossover freq. is set to 40Hz even though I initially pick 80Hz manually before YPAO. Acording to the manual on page 26 regarding 'Size' "...checks the speaker's frequency response and sets the appropriate low frequency crossover for each channel." So, if the surrounds can only handle down to 100Hz, then the surround output below 100Hz would be directed to the sub. But my interpretation is that the crossover frequency could be different for the center channel for example. Any ideas on this?

Now, if I run the auto-setup bypassing the speaker size test and forcing all the speakers to "Small" the result is not so good to my ears. The whole thing sounds "thinner." I do still get bass out of the sub, but it just doesn't sound as full as when I run the full auto-set up, including speaker size tests.

I have to say that the 2500 is a wonderful machine in this respect since it can memorize up to six different settings to be recalled instantly for comparison.

Has anyone done extensive tests with these settings? Any final conclussions? Comments?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis