Using subwoofers as speaker stands?

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Are using large 15"+ subwoofers as speaker stands ok? Does it shake the speakers and/or reduce sound quality?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I think as long as you decouple them with something like sorbothane feet there should be no audible sonic degradation.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the biggest potential problem is the correct positions for your speakers may not be good positions for your subwoofers.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Yup, agree. I'm looking at this to increase my placement options in a smaller room with large 15" subs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Both Russ and Kew got it... if it works, you can, but even we’ll made subwoofer cabinets will still transfer some vibration. Isolating the speakers from that would be good. But more so is the acoustic needs of subwoofers in your room. I will always recommend the subwoofer crawl to find the best homes for them. Seldom will they line up with the needs of stereo reproduction.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Most of my speakers are placed atop the subwoofers. :D

You can use bumpers.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Clear-Adhesive-Bumpers-Medium/dp/B06XPW77TH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=17PULAK0LF8A4&keywords=glass+bumper+pads&qid=1570141152&s=hi&sprefix=Glass+bump,tools,257&sr=1-5

If they don’t give you enough height (tweeter at ear level),you can also place speakers atop stands and place stands atop subwoofers.
Going purely by hearsay... do you have any room left after your subs? It seems like your subs are the only real estate left for speakers! :p ;) :cool:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You can use bumpers.
If they don’t give you enough height (tweeter at ear level),you can also place speakers atop stands and place stands atop subwoofers.
Then you might have to stand up to listen to them ! :D

Last edited:
E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Are using large 15"+ subwoofers as speaker stands ok? Does it shake the speakers and/or reduce sound quality?
Wow did I have this issue. I had two RBH 770/r sitting on my big subs (1010sen). They would move like crazy. I added some feet and all my troubles are over.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis