Using Sound Waves To Visualize Quantum Effects

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is just cool. He touches on standing waves and how they interact with a droplet when dropped onto an oil bath suspended over a loudspeaker at a cretain frequency. You can do sort of a macro scale double slit experiment. I can't do it justice in my words so I'll stop now. Check out the video.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
These videos can help show this, too- we did ripple tank experiments in Physics class when I was in high school. it all applies to sound in our rooms, too. I would like the speed of the first video slower, so it would be easier to see the effects of the reflections/refractions (the 3rd video has slower motion)-

To show a way to measure the wavelength of frequencies, my Acoustics professor had a tube with a small speaker at the bottom, a frequency generator with small amplifier and cork wafers. He would set a frequency and when the SPL was high enough and then, he used a tweezer to grasp a wafer and insert it into the column of air above the tube- when he let go of the wafer, it would float in the air. He then added more wafers and they would find their own level because the wave is either providing positive pressure, negative pressure or a null point at the half wavelength distance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These videos can help show this, too- we did ripple tank experiments in Physics class when I was in high school. it all applies to sound in our rooms, too. I would like the speed of the first video slower, so it would be easier to see the effects of the reflections/refractions (the 3rd video has slower motion)-

To show a way to measure the wavelength of frequencies, my Acoustics professor had a tube with a small speaker at the bottom, a frequency generator with small amplifier and cork wafers. He would set a frequency and when the SPL was high enough and then, he used a tweezer to grasp a wafer and insert it into the column of air above the tube- when he let go of the wafer, it would float in the air. He then added more wafers and they would find their own level because the wave is either providing positive pressure, negative pressure or a null point at the half wavelength distance.
I still have to check out your videos, but this last one you mention I've seen done with little styrofoam balls. Here he uses a vapor and you can actually see the standing waves created when the sound hits the reflector.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
@Pogre , check out 3blue1brown on Fourier transforms:
And the follow up, which is more on topic:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It doesn't take long for me to get in over my head with this stuff, but watch videos like this and read about it when I come across it. Quantum physics I fascinatingly bizarre. I'm gonna check those out later tonight Slip!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw this today, thought of this thread, as occurred in water
piano-notes-1st-octave-cymascope.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis