Using second receiver for main speaker

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I picked up another receiver from an estate sale. RX-A 1020 mainly for a little improvement in connectivity from my old RX-V 2500. I got everything hooked up but it seems the 1020 just doesn’t have the same headroom that the 2500 does. So I’m contemplating using the 2500 as a amp for the mains.
It seems I could just use the pre amp outputs from the 1020 wired to the inputs of the 2500. I guess where my confusion starts is how to setup the 2500 so it’s just a pass through for any processing the 1020 is doing. I’m using this for both Surround sound 5.1 at the moment and 2 channel listing, sometimes with a sub sometimes in pure direct mode depending on what I’m listing too.
If anyone could guide me through a quick run down on best setup or lack there of on the 2500 it would be greatly appreciated.
First thought is just run the 2500 in pure direct mode and set the volume around 70-80%. I feel like this will take some load off the 1020 as well, I plan on adding more speakers in the near future to include surround backs and height speakers.
Thank you.
Mike.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd connect the pre-outs of the 1020 to the multi-ch inputs on the 2500....that should be as close to using it purely as an amp as you can get (and often you can't actually use them except as a direct type mode on some avrs, altho not that familiar with Yamaha's implementation). Adjusting the volume for best gain match you'll have to experiment with, but I'd think your 70/80% might be close but if it's a logarithmic/dB based volume dial percentages may not be what you think :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The MULTI CH INPUT is a direct deal and you get out what you put in it. If using the full set of PRE OUTs of the 1020, you will have to make some assignments in the 2500 as the 1020 has 8 channel pre outs and the 2500 just 6 in the MULTI CH INPUT. The 2500 allows for reassignment of two other analog inputs for the front channels. One will have to choose between Surround Back and Front Presence speakers as it is a 7 channel affair and both will not work simultaneously.
Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.46.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.47.56 AM.png

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Having done the same, with a Yammy AVR, in the past . . . I would suggest one change to previous advice;
set your "power amp" AVR volume to 0dB (i.e. full power) and let the "pre-amp" AVR control the volume just as it does normally for its own internal amps.

Worked like a champ for me.
A Harmony remote made "power amp" AVR On/Off and Pure Direct selection easy as pie.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Having done the same, with a Yammy AVR, in the past . . . I would suggest one change to previous advice;
set your "power amp" AVR volume to 0dB (i.e. full power) and let the "pre-amp" AVR control the volume just as it does normally for its own internal amps.

Worked like a champ for me.
A Harmony remote made "power amp" AVR On/Off and Pure Direct selection easy as pie.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
0 dB isn't necessarily full power....and many reference scales go to +18....but I think it would be a good starting point. Depends if you get extraneous noise particularly....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They actually mention max volume regarding the 2500 pre outs but didn't mention it about the 1200 pre outs.
Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 1.29.13 PM.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They actually mention max volume regarding the 2500 pre outs but didn't mention it about the 1200 pre outs.
View attachment 55633
Wonder why they would say simply max out the gains when using an external amp like that. Confident their pre-out levels are so low that it wouldn't be a problem ? :)

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
Currently I have it hooked up to the multi channel input utilizing front mains only as that’s all I’m concerned with for now, volume is set to +05 on 2500 and it seems to be pretty damn good. The 2500 has way more headroom than the 1020 by a mile in my humble opinion. But the processing for surround is way better on the RX-A 1020 considerably noticeable. I’ll continue to play around with it but for the 100 bucks I got the 1020 for I’m pretty happy. Seems a bit clunky but works.
Thank you fellas for the advice! I’ll report further tweaks and maybe someone else can benefit for a little different approach.
Cheers!
Mike.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably better to just run the mains (maybe center, too) on the external unit....keep the work split between the two, but surprised the slightly more powerful 2500 is that big a difference....altho it probably does have a better power supply....

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
Probably better to just run the mains (maybe center, too) on the external unit....keep the work split between the two, but surprised the slightly more powerful 2500 is that big a difference....altho it probably does have a better power supply....
It really is the 1020 started getting distorted pretty quick. I do like my music to have the ability to go LOUD and the 1020 just couldn’t do it. 2500 I’ve had since release and has never disappointed. Coupled with my new Monoprice 16” THX sub. It’s getting it now. ;)
Mike.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis