Using second receiver as an amp - Yamaha CR1020 and CR2020

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
I'd like to set up my stereo receiver to accept a second receiver as an external power amp. I've never done this, is it as simple as using RCA cables to connect the pre-out of the receiver to the main-in of the external amp?

Does the control panel need to be configured in any particular manner?

For these two models there is a coupler on/off switch which is normally locked to ON.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd like to set up my stereo receiver to accept a second receiver as an external power amp. I've never done this, is it as simple as using RCA cables to connect the pre-out of the receiver to the main-in of the external amp?

Does the control panel need to be configured in any particular manner?

For these two models there is a coupler on/off switch which is normally locked to ON.
What units are you talking about? You can not use a receiver as an external amp, unless it is a very old two channel receiver that has jumpers between the pre and power amps.

Generally if a receiver has preouts, then you need power amps and not a receiver.

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
What units are you talking about? You can not use a receiver as an external amp, unless it is a very old two channel receiver that has jumpers between the pre and power amps.

Generally if a receiver has preouts, then you need power amps and not a receiver.
yes these are older 2 channel receivers, not av receivers.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yamaha CR1020 and CR2020 both had pre-outs/main in (switched) I had a CR2020 for many years.
So yes, the OP could use the amp section of one or the other....for whatever reason.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
yes these are older 2 channel receivers, not av receivers.
The pictures do not show jumpers, but if the have they have a pre out you could use it, but I don't see a power amp in. So I can't see a satisfactory solution. You will need a power amp.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The pictures do not show jumpers, but if the have they have a pre out you could use it, but I don't see a power amp in. So I can't see a satisfactory solution. You will need a power amp.
They have power amp in....to the right of the jumper switch. I don't remember if the switch disabled pre out or not, so if he intends to use the amps in both that may or may not work.
Yamaha-CR-1020_3.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis