Using music streaming without mobile device

E

efy007

Audiophyte
Hello,

New to forum and I have a question about streaming music. I appreciate high quality streaming and want to buy a receiver that can stream Tidal. From the receivers I've been looking at it seems all of them require the use of a mobile device. I'd rather not have to use another remote (cell phone) to control my receiver. Does anyone know of any receiver brands that do not require the use of an app on cell phone? Do any receivers have streaming services built in (Tidal) where I can connect via network cable (hard line not wifi) to stream music and control Tidal with the receiver remote?

Thanks,

Ed

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo. I'd have to check Yamaha. Not sure which model you looked at.

E

efy007

Audiophyte
I've looked at Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and it looks like they use their version of an app that you control via cell phone. I will give Marantz and Pioneer a look.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've looked at Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and it looks like they use their version of an app that you control via cell phone. I will give Marantz and Pioneer a look.
Pioneer is for sure the remote or app.
You can always use an external streaming box, then you have all your music and video in one device.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha RX A3080 has TIDAL but requires you to use MusicCast/TIDAL apps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration if you do find it wholly within the avr, is it may end up going towards the external device control like Spotify has in my avrs :) AVR's support long term of apps isn't all that great. If you do find an avr with Tidal, will it have the coveted MQA bs?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Pioneer is for sure the remote or app.
You can always use an external streaming box, then you have all your music and video in one device.

Never heard of a external streaming box. What is that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of a external streaming box. What is that?
I'd call various network streaming devices external streaming boxes, devices like Rokus, Apple TVs, Amazon Fire TV/Sticks etc....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Tidal may not offer any sort of a 10 foot interface that is usable through a simple remote control. It may require the interaction of a PC or a mobile device for proper control of the service. If they were to have the type of functionality you are talking about, then the first types of players which would offer it would be Roku and AppleTV, but these services do NOT have it. Only services which require a mobile device, such as Sonos, and a fair list of others, offer this type of integration. All of which are heavily based upon mobile use.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/sections/200680222-Home-Audio-Players

If it pisses you off (it should), then email them.

E

efy007

Audiophyte
I've written Tidal to complain but even the responses makes it seem like they don't really understand my issue. I mean, I can stream Pandora directly through receiver so why don't they work with manufacturers to include Tidal in their receivers. I've looked at Pioneer because someone here suggested but even with them I can't find details on how it works on Pioneer receiver.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello,

New to forum and I have a question about streaming music. I appreciate high quality streaming and want to buy a receiver that can stream Tidal. From the receivers I've been looking at it seems all of them require the use of a mobile device. I'd rather not have to use another remote (cell phone) to control my receiver. Does anyone know of any receiver brands that do not require the use of an app on cell phone? Do any receivers have streaming services built in (Tidal) where I can connect via network cable (hard line not wifi) to stream music and control Tidal with the receiver remote?

Thanks,

Ed
You can get somewhat what you want with an Airport Express to deliver Apple Music from iTunes, whereby, computer, iPhone, or iPad can deliver Apple Music, or the devices can serve as a remote control for Apple Music from iTunes running on computer. Another route would be a Creative Sound Blaster X-F HD, running its usb to optical S/PDIF from computer to your receiver, which will work with any streaming service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis