Using Large Front Speakes For Home Theater, Feasible ?

• Thread starter Discrete Output
  • Start date
D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
Hello, new member here. Been looking at the forum for a while and appreciate the knowledge I have found. Thank You.

Here is my current set up:

Furman Power Conditioner
McIntosh Pre, no HDMI
Altec A5's Voice of the Theater with large format compression drivers, bi amped, with Ashly electronic XO
Pair of JBL Arts and Entertainment Series dual 18" subs, with dedicated amps
LG OLED 65"
Room is 30' X 15' with 8' ceiling

I am completely happy with the current system running 2 channel, but want to switch to surround.

Plan is to buy a Marantz SR7012 to replace the McIntosh and put together a 5.2.4 (in ceiling) Atmos system. Or, maybe, the front center wouldn't be needed? I would like to keep the speaker budget to around $600 per pair.

Also, plan on upgrading to dedicated 20 amp service and would like to continue using my 5 existing amps in the new system.

I would appreciate any suggestions to make this work, speaker choices, etc.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you even get let alone place another Altec for center? Phantom center could work well, too. JBL might be a thought for surrounds/atmos speakers, maybe something from the pro series.

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
Can you even get let alone place another Altec for center? Phantom center could work well, too. JBL might be a thought for surrounds/atmos speakers, maybe something from the pro series.
Another A5 for center would be impossible for this room. Not opposed to any brand of center if it will blend or work out ok. Just trying to figure out if the A5's will be too overwhelming to practically use for surround?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another A5 for center would be impossible for this room. Not opposed to any brand of center if it will blend or work out ok. Just trying to figure out if the A5's will be too overwhelming to practically use for surround?

Thanks.
Properly integrated they'd probably be fine IMO and wouldn't overwhelm unless you set them up to do so. I'd want the center to be darn similar if not idential to L/R if possible....that said my center isn't as beefy as my L/R but from same series (JBL Studio 590/520). I'd start without and see if necessary....

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
Properly integrated they'd probably be fine IMO and wouldn't overwhelm unless you set them up to do so. I'd want the center to be darn similar if not idential to L/R if possible....that said my center isn't as beefy as my L/R but from same series (JBL Studio 590/520). I'd start without and see if necessary....
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
You just gave me an idea. I have a pair of Altec 1231 stage monitors with a 12" and the small format compression driver. I could try one for the center.

Also, I have had my eye on the Studio 530 and 520 for a while.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, new member here. Been looking at the forum for a while and appreciate the knowledge I have found. Thank You.

Here is my current set up:

Furman Power Conditioner
McIntosh Pre, no HDMI
Altec A5's Voice of the Theater with large format compression drivers, bi amped, with Ashly electronic XO
Pair of JBL Arts and Entertainment Series dual 18" subs, with dedicated amps
LG OLED 65"
Room is 30' X 15' with 8' ceiling

I am completely happy with the current system running 2 channel, but want to switch to surround.

Plan is to buy a Marantz SR7012 to replace the McIntosh and put together a 5.2.4 (in ceiling) Atmos system. Or, maybe, the front center wouldn't be needed? I would like to keep the speaker budget to around $600 per pair.

Also, plan on upgrading to dedicated 20 amp service and would like to continue using my 5 existing amps in the new system.

I would appreciate any suggestions to make this work, speaker choices, etc.
How much space do you have for a center? Given your set up I would try and do without a center. I know of no modern speaker that is really comparable to those Altecs.

For the benefit of other members this is what we are talking about here.

This unique sound comes from driving large paper fiber woofers close to break up and combining it biamped with a large multi cell sectoral horn. Preferable the system is biamped as you are doing.

If you find you do need a center then a speaker would have to be custom designed and built. However it is still going to be a fairly big speaker. That is why I ask how much space you have.

I do have a pair of vintage Altec 4-11 8 As. These are 15" woofers designed exclusively for sealed application in a relatively small cabinet, about 2.5 cu.ft. They are designed to cross to a sectoral horn compression driver as are yours. Again bi-amping would be highly desirable. These drivers were part of systems like the Santiago designed to bring the voice of the theater sound to the home environment and smaller cinemas.

So I could design a system for you if needs be, and you have room. I also have quite a few of the correct Shure electronic SR 106 crossovers designed to mate with Altec Voice of the theater speaker systems.

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
How much space do you have for a center? Given your set up I would try and do without a center. I know of no modern speaker that is really comparable to those Altecs.

For the benefit of other members this is what we are talking about here.

This unique sound comes from driving large paper fiber woofers close to break up and combining it biamped with a large multi cell sectoral horn. Preferable the system is biamped as you are doing.

If you find you do need a center then a speaker would have to be custom designed and built. However it is still going to be a fairly big speaker. That is why I ask how much space you have.

I do have a pair of vintage Altec 4-11 8 As. These are 15" woofers designed exclusively for sealed application in a relatively small cabinet, about 2.5 cu.ft. They are designed to cross to a sectoral horn compression driver as are yours. Again bi-amping would be highly desirable. These drivers were part of systems like the Santiago designed to bring the voice of the theater sound to the home environment and smaller cinemas.

So I could design a system for you if needs be, and you have room. I also have quite a few of the correct Shure electronic SR 106 crossovers designed to mate with Altec Voice of the theater speaker systems.
Thank you for posting the pictures. The only difference is I have the MR2 594 horns. Think they are called Manta-ray?

Thanks for the advice and I will keep you in mind for a custom center.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for posting the pictures. The only difference is I have the MR2 594 horns. Think they are called Manta-ray?

Thanks for the advice and I will keep you in mind for a custom center.
The A5 is from the sixties. Altec developed the Mantaray constant directivity horns in the seventies. I have checked it through and you do have the correct Mantaray horn for the A5.

So this is your speaker.

If you don't have room for one of those horns for a center speaker, then I would forget about using a center. If you do have room, then I would look for and try and purchase another of those Mantaray horns.

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
The A5 is from the sixties. Altec developed the Mantaray constant directivity horns in the seventies. I have checked it through and you do have the correct Mantaray horn for the A5.

So this is your speaker.

If you don't have room for one of those horns for a center speaker, then I would forget about using a center. If you do have room, then I would look for and try and purchase another of those Mantaray horns.
The 1st pictures you posted are exactly what my bottoms look like, with the bold Altec grills. I think the bottom port may be bigger than in this picture?

I'm pretty sure the previous owner swapped the horns to the Mantaray. Also, the horns are the matching grey. I think you are right that the bottom was from the 60's and the horns were 70's.

Thanks for your help. I was really unsure if/how to include these in a HT system. I'll have to give this all some more thought.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

So this is your speaker.

The only difference is I have the MR2 594 horns. Think they are called Manta-ray?
By the way, I have one MR994A Mantaray for sale. It's a new old stock item. In my opinion, since I believe it is somewhat smaller than the MR2 594, it might be more practical for use on your center speaker. Also, those horns, which Altec manufactured just before being bought by Electro-Voice, are pretty hard to find nowadays.

I am only asking CND$149 for it plus shipping cost. Should you be interested, please PM me. :)

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
By the way, I have one MR994A Mantaray for sale. It's a new old stock item. In my opinion, since I believe it is somewhat smaller than the MR2 594, it might be more practical for use on your center speaker. Also, those horns, which Altec manufactured just before being bought by Electro-Voice, are pretty hard to find nowadays.

I am only asking CND$149 for it plus shipping cost. Should you be interested, please PM me. :)
Ok, it will probably take me a while to figure out what I'm going to do. Might order new receiver today.

I will keep your offer in mind.

Thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Here are photos of my HT speakers and equipment. The front speakers which I originally built contained Altec A7 components using the 511B horns. They were modified to accept Dayton RSS390HF-8As, 5½ inch mid-woofers and air motion ribbon tweeters:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

D

Discrete Output

Enthusiast
Here are photos of my HT speakers and equipment. The front speakers which I originally built contained Altec A7 components using the 511B horns. They were modified to accept Dayton RSS390HF-8As, 5½ inch mid-woofers and air motion ribbon tweeters:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/
Wow. Very nice work. I really like the the wood cabinet for the rack components.

The whole room is excellent. Can see you put a lot of time and thought into it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hang on to that horn. I think that is just what would be required to make a matching center with one of my Altec 411 8As. I literally have everything else you need apart from that horn to do what you want if you have the room.

A Voice of the Theater front three would be quite something!

No I see it is you Verdinut who have that horn. The OP should snap that up they are not easy to come by.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis