Using DI Box for Preouts

W

woody33

Audiophyte
I am new to the AV subject matter and equipment (be gentle :)) and not wanting to spend a ton of money yet. Can I use the functionality of a DI box such as that in the link to make a speaker output into a pre out (I only need one channel for the surround speakers)? I have an average size family room and can use wired speakers for front and center channels but I don't want to run speaker wire for surround speakers. The AV receiver I was looking at only has a pre out for SW and zone B line out (Onkyo TX-SR393).

Next question is can you connect a BT transmitter to a pre out and send audio to a BT speaker?

I know I can spend about $800-$1000 now and get the pre outs.
https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/DI-Boxes/DI100/p/P0062#googtrans(en|en)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just one channel doesn't sound like it would be worth it for surrounds....rear surrounds in a 7ch setup perhaps. Could possibly introduce difficulties for managing the delay caused by both the DI box and a transmitter/receiver. Personally I would either hide wires and use passive speakers or just stick to 3.1 if that's not possible. Look up cable raceways for ideas on how you might hide wires.

BrianAker

BrianAker

Audiophyte
I am new to the AV subject matter and equipment (be gentle :)) and not wanting to spend a ton of money yet. Can I use the functionality of a DI box such as that in the link to make a speaker output into a pre out (I only need one channel for the surround speakers)?
Yes you can. Just make sure the DI unit can pad the output of the AV amp's output.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
And Bluetooth will almost always add delay into the system, then you would need surround speakers which are powered to allow them to work, which means a power cord is in place.

The big issue is the delay caused by Bluetooth speakers. WISA stuff is designed for proper use in an AV system wirelessly. Bluetooth is not.

As @lovinthehd said, I would just wire rear speakers properly. It is a hassle to do once, but is cheap and works reliably.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis