Using Bose 901's and equilizer from the 80's with a modern Amp

G

Grimmy3290

Audiophyte
You CAN use the Bose 901 EQ with most all modern receivers (for just $20).
The Bose EQ has to be "between" the source (CD, Sirus/XM radio, computer, Amazon Alexa, etc.) and the power amp. So you plug in all of your music sources into an audio/video switcher. The switcher output then goes into the input jacks of the EQ. The EQ output goes into the AUX (or whichever) input of the receiver. I just keep my receiver always on AUX and choose which source I want to listen to on the switcher.
RCA or GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switcher - $20 at Wal-Mart.
Even older post now lol. Will this switcher work with optical sound output from modern tv? I just bought new tv and want to get new receiver that can handle the optical audio from the tv and use the 901 speakers. Thanks if you can help me!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Samurai
Even older post now lol. Will this switcher work with optical sound output from modern tv? I just bought new tv and want to get new receiver that can handle the optical audio from the tv and use the 901 speakers. Thanks if you can help me!
https://www.amazon.com/optical-rca-converter/s?k=optical+to+rca+converter
Connect the optical out to an optical to RCA converter and connect that to the Bose EQ and then to the Aux in on an amplifier or receiver. If it's an older amp or receiver, you can use the tape monitor loop to connect the Bose EQ and use it on all sources and connect the TV adapter to the Aux. Any amp or receiver with both a pre-out and amp-in connection loop can also use the Bose EQ. Strictly for 2 channel audio, not surround, or you will end up EQ'ing your surrounds as well, so choose an appropriate receiver or integrated amp.

For surround systems, you need to connect the optical to RCA adapter to the receiver and the receiver must have pre-amp out for the main left+right. Connect the pre-amp out to the Bose EQ and then connect that to a separate amp. This requires a receiver and an amp. The amp runs the Bose and the receiver runs the surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis