Using Bose 901's and equilizer from the 80's with a modern Amp

N

nanastasi

Audiophyte
A switch is a passive device, and an RIAA input needs to be active. So to do what you want you would need a phono preamp ahead of one of those switcher inputs.

There are a couple of issues. First is that that NAD unit has limited digital functionality. It has eARC so you could use a TV as the HDMI switch. The other issue is that the Bose equalizer will not work with digital inputs.

Finally I have to say, I just fail to understand how anyone can enjoy those Bose 901 speakers. They are right up there with the worst I have ever heard. The measure badly and sound as bad as they measure. If they measure badly, especially that badly, they are just plain bad. So I just don't see the point of using them when there are so many better alternatives, which now includes just about any other speaker. And you can't add a sub to those speakers.
They’re controversial speakers to be sure. People either love them or hate them. I personally love them, I get a very full sound with them ~4ft away from a long wall, and they sound great anywhere in the room. Interesting article here https://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

R

RodWhite

Audiophyte
A switch is a passive device, and an RIAA input needs to be active. So to do what you want you would need a phono preamp ahead of one of those switcher inputs.

There are a couple of issues. First is that that NAD unit has limited digital functionality. It has eARC so you could use a TV as the HDMI switch. The other issue is that the Bose equalizer will not work with digital inputs.

Finally I have to say, I just fail to understand how anyone can enjoy those Bose 901 speakers. They are right up there with the worst I have ever heard. The measure badly and sound as bad as they measure. If they measure badly, especially that badly, they are just plain bad. So I just don't see the point of using them when there are so many better alternatives, which now includes just about any other speaker. And you can't add a sub to those speakers.
TLS Guy, Yes, I have a phono pre-amp and have been running my Denon turntable through the AUX L/R input of the NAD C370 for a few years now.

The switch is analogue not digital, it is a 4 way AV switch in which I'm ignoring the V RCA and just using the audio L/R for each input. Same with the output, I just use the audio and forget the video and the output is the same as the input, analogue.

I'm sorry you have not been able to enjoy the Bose 901's for whatever reason. They do sound flat without the equalizer and it is just a joy when you switch the equaliser on (perhaps someone turned it off by mistake) and you hear the music come to life.

As for the bass, my "test" track is Morcheeba Trigger Hippie. I play this to see if all of those cones and drivers are still working. The music I listen to does not require more base than that track and I don't use my stereo for surround sound on my TV, I have another system for that which I'm happy with. The 901's are for music only.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
TLS Guy, Yes, I have a phono pre-amp and have been running my Denon turntable through the AUX L/R input of the NAD C370 for a few years now.

The switch is analogue not digital, it is a 4 way AV switch in which I'm ignoring the V RCA and just using the audio L/R for each input. Same with the output, I just use the audio and forget the video and the output is the same as the input, analogue.

I'm sorry you have not been able to enjoy the Bose 901's for whatever reason. They do sound flat without the equalizer and it is just a joy when you switch the equaliser on (perhaps someone turned it off by mistake) and you hear the music come to life.

As for the base, my "test" track is Morcheeba Trigger Hippie. I play this to see if all of those cones and drivers are still working. The music I listen to does not require more base than that track and I don't use my stereo for surround sound on my TV, I have another system for that which I'm happy with. The 901's are for music only.
I got to experience some 901s back in the early 70s, in rooms dedicated to their setup and they were what I called fun party speakers (which is pretty much what they were used for in each case). Needed a lot of eq to get some decent bass, tho....much rather have modern speakers with subs myself. I've never heard of Morcheeba Trigger Hippie but sounds interesting, off to look....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you. Is there a degradation in sound quality with all of these pass-throughs? Does the quality of the phono preamp have a significant impact? Any to recommend? Thanks again!
Degradation when talking Bose, especially the 901s is an oxymoron. The sound is already massively degraded and you could not possibly detect a bit more.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As for the bass, my "test" track is Morcheeba Trigger Hippie. I play this to see if all of those cones and drivers are still working. The music I listen to does not require more base than that track and I don't use my stereo for surround sound on my TV, I have another system for that which I'm happy with. The 901's are for music only.
Look the data is overwhelming that the Bose 901s are just awful speakers. You have to have totally warped hearing to think they are in any way accurate.

This is the FR of competently measured Bose 901s, and all the Eq curves.

There is only one way to describe that, and its 'Bloody awful'. If you think speakers like that sound good then your sense of acoustic reality is way off base.

These could qualify as the worst speakers ever produced. Amar Bose was total nut job.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Not really. I think most preamps follow the RIAA curve pretty well. It is a pretty simple circuit so they should not cost a fortune, but many do. I'm sure there are some rogue products out there, as there always are. This one should probably be fine. That is probably as low in price as you want to go.

R

RodWhite

Audiophyte
Thank you. Is there a degradation in sound quality with all of these pass-throughs? Does the quality of the phono preamp have a significant impact? Any to recommend? Thanks again!
I've put the switch in, connected my cd player, bluetooth and turntable to the switch, took the output to the input of the bose active equalizer then the output from it to the amp as AUX input. I put a massive attack CD into the cd player and spotified the same song and timed it with the cd then switched inputs. Can I tell the difference, NO, can an elecronic measuring device, likely yes, but do I care NO. The only impurity I can hear with my ears are the glasses in the cupboard shaking.

All these Bose 901 detractors, go somewhere else, this forum is for those like me who have acheived what they desire, we are all different, have different tastes, sight and hearing.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy either the NAD c399 (four channel) or the Purifi driven, D class NAD C298 (two channel) to drive my four 901s.

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this forum is for more than Bose fans with particular subjective preferences.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've put the switch in, connected my cd player, bluetooth and turntable to the switch, took the output to the input of the bose active equalizer then the output from it to the amp as AUX input. I put a massive attack CD into the cd player and spotfied the same song and timed it with the cd then switched inputs. Can I tell the difference, NO, can an elecronic measuring device, likely yes, but do I care NO. The only impurity I can hear with my ears are the glasses in the cupboard shaking.

All these Bose 901 detractors, go somewhere else, this forum is for those like me who have acheived what they desire, we are all different, have different tastes, sight and hearing.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy either the NAD c399 (four channel) or the Purifi driven, D class NAD C298 (two channel) to drive my four 901s.
Well measurements don't lie, and nor do my ears. Amar Bose was a con man. The drivers in those Bose speakers, were nasty cheap drivers of Asian manufacture that could be bought on the OEM market for $3.40 a piece. If you are happy that's fine. But the evidence is overwhelming that they are not good speakers. Rattling glasses has nothing to do with sonic accuracy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis