Used custom built subwoofer

O

Own_ostrich

Audiophyte
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater sound system on a tight budget one part at a time starting with my subwoofer with little to no knowledge on the subject. Would an 18 year old custom built subwoofer be a terrible idea? It has true internal capacity of 1.6 cubic feet made from 3/4" HDFB, glued/screwed/clamped. Dayton 150w/rms, 250w/pk plate amplifier and an Audiobahn 12" 750w driver. Please let me know if there are any more details needed if this isn't such a bad idea to start with. Also any ideas what a fair price would be for something like this assuming it looks and sounds good when tested? I should probably note that I believe I will have to use the high level in because my current receiver's subwoofer out just uses speaker wire but I'm not even sure that is correct.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater sound system on a tight budget one part at a time starting with my subwoofer with little to no knowledge on the subject. Would an 18 year old custom built subwoofer be a terrible idea? It has true internal capacity of 1.6 cubic feet made from 3/4" HDFB, glued/screwed/clamped. Dayton 150w/rms, 250w/pk plate amplifier and an Audiobahn 12" 750w driver. Please let me know if there are any more details needed if this isn't such a bad idea to start with. Also any ideas what a fair price would be for something like this assuming it looks and sounds good when tested? I should probably note that I believe I will have to use the high level in because my current receiver's subwoofer out just uses speaker wire but I'm not even sure that is correct.
Neither you nor I have any idea if this sub was properly designed. More likely than not it was not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
T/S parameters for the Audiobahn driver (or at least the model number of the driver) would be a start so it could be modeled to check. Sealed or ported/vented? If the latter what are the dimensions of the port/vent? Your receiver if using an amplified channel may not have enough power either.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What do you have currently and what is your budget?

O

Own_ostrich

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies I think I'm going to pass on the sub I was asking about. I currently have one of the all in one 5.1 systems in my home theater called the Sony Dream System which looking back on was clearly a mistake given the price. I recently put a PSW505 in my office which is what got me thinking about upgrading my home theater. Tested the PSW505 in place of the sub that came with the system last night and that was a major upgrade. I'm currently pursuing a BIC F12, BIC Venturi tower and center speakers and a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver all for $340.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies I think I'm going to pass on the sub I was asking about. I currently have one of the all in one 5.1 systems in my home theater called the Sony Dream System which looking back on was clearly a mistake given the price. I recently put a PSW505 in my office which is what got me thinking about upgrading my home theater. Tested the PSW505 in place of the sub that came with the system last night and that was a major upgrade. I'm currently pursuing a BIC F12, BIC Venturi tower and center speakers and a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver all for $340.
Still, there's better subs than the Polk or BICs mentioned....just cost a bit more....I figure the entry fee is usually in the $500 and up range. All in one systems definitely tend to lack in several ways...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis