USB to Optical or Toslink Converter

M

mike_wassell

Audioholic Intern
I have ripped all of my CDs to my computer in Windows Media Audio Lossless format. I want to send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp so I can use the DAC in my preamp. Is there a USB to Optical or Toslink Converter that will send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp?

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Just for stereo? Search around for notebook USB audio cards.
And if you can use coaxial on your receiver you will have more choices on the soundcards.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I have ripped all of my CDs to my computer in Windows Media Audio Lossless format. I want to send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp so I can use the DAC in my preamp. Is there a USB to Optical or Toslink Converter that will send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp?
What computer do you have? Is it a DIY or a brand name?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's called an external sound card. I use a SB Live external for mine. I got it at office depot for around 50 bucks.

R

Realalefan

Audiophyte
Audio Advantage from Turtle Beach, a thumb-drive-size external USB-to-optical adapter. Should cost around 30 bucks. Works great!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Audio Advantage from Turtle Beach, a thumb-drive-size external USB-to-optical adapter. Should cost around 30 bucks. Works great!
I second that! I got one for my parents a few years ago.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Your first post, and you're helping someone out. Awesome.

R

Realalefan

Audiophyte
Thanks - my pleasure! I've just integrated my laptop into my HT, happy to share my experiences. Seems like more and more people are doing the same thing.

I actually have a HDMI port on my laptop, but couldn't get audio working over it. I think this is because my current TV doesn't have HDMI and is connected to my receiver with a DVI-HDMI adapter cable. I believe the laptop only recognizes the TV as a monitor and won't send audio as a result. Just a theory though, won't know for sure until I replace the TV. In the meantime this was a cheap and easy workaround.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent. I hook my MacBook up to my HT from time to time when I want to watch something online. I have a new TV coming which is the first one that I'll own with HDMI, so I'm excited to see how good the picture is.

Do you know for sure that your receiver will process audio over HDMI? Some will, some won't. If you're not sure, you can let us know the model that you have and we can tell you.

R

Realalefan

Audiophyte
The receiver definitely does HDMI audio - it's the Onkyo 705. I'm running a DVD-R and my cable box to it through HDMI. The laptop is a Dell Studio 17 with the Intel GMA 4500MHD video controller.

Spent a couple hours on the phone with Dell support, searched many online discussions, performed many driver updates, confirmed and re-confirmed settings...nada. Should work as far as I know, so I'm suspicious of the HDMI-DVI connection to the TV - wouldn't be the first weird HDMI handshake issue I've seen.

No biggie right now, I'm going VGA to my TV for video and optical to the receiver for audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis