URGENT!! HDMI Question

C

cags

Audiophyte
This HDMI thing is driving me wacky. I'm running an HDMI line from my Comcast cable box using a DVI adapter to my receiver. Since DVI is video only, I'm also running a digital optical line to the receiver. I'm also running an HDMI line from the receiver to the television. Do I also need to run an audio line to the television or will the optical line from the cable box be transferred to the HDMI line running into the TV? In other words, will the single HDMI line from the receiver carry both video and audio signals to the TV despite the DVI to HDMI + toslink going into the receiver? I noticed that my TV only has a digital optical OUT line. Please help, I have my TV off the wall and my brain is sizzling.
Cags

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
If I understand your question correctly, you will need to run cables for audio as well. As soon as you introduce a DVI cable to the mix, the audio portion is lost.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Why would you want to run audio to your video display?

P

Paisaab

Enthusiast
Hi- I think the audio goes out of the receiver to the speakers. The main use of the audio out from the TV is for OTA HD channels if you want to route them thru the receiver. That is if your OTA antenna plugs directly into the TV...

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
corey said:
Why would you want to run audio to your video display?
Some of us do still prefer to occasionally use the TV speakers.;)
But I think the point is he is losing the audio signal from the HDMI connection before it reaches the receiver, and I don't believe the receiver will reconnect the audio and video portions into what are probably separate input sections of the TV.
This may all be a moot point as he posted this morning. Hopefully this conversation is not too late in coming.
cags? Still there?

C

cags

Audiophyte
hdmi

Thanks NomoSony. I wanted to hook up HDMI from my HD cable box to my tv (Hitachi plasma) and my receiver. Like you said, I still watch tv using the tv's speakers. My problem is: The cable box only has a DVI output. I put a HDMI converter on the box and ran the HDMI cable directly to my TV. I had to use RCA cables for the audio to the TV because of the DVI connection and the fact that the TV doesn't have a digital audio "IN." I was thinking about using an HDMI switch to run the DVI to HDMI cable to my receiver and my TV separately. Because I'm using a DVI to HDMI connection I know I would have to run an audio link to the TV (RCA cables) but I was wondering if I run the HDMI cable to the receiver from the cable box (using a switcher) as well as a toslink, will the receiver (A Pioneer Elite) take the video from the HDMI and the audio (from the Toslink) and send them both to the TV via the HDMI cable running from the receiver to the TV. It's hard to put into words. Thanks.
Cags

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis