Upgrading Klipsch KSW-10 Sub

ITistic

ITistic

Audiophyte
I've been wanting to upgrade my Klipsch KSW-10 sub for quite some time now and have just recently decided to take the plunge. I've been wanting to upgrade to the Klipsch SUB-12 but not sure if it's worth the $509 price tag.

Before we continue, this sub will be used mostly for music. Occasionally I'll watch a movie, but more often this sub will be used for music. The problem I have with the KSW-10 that I currently own is that it sounds great with movies that are 5.1+ but with music it is not impressive at all.

In any case, I purchased the Velodyne VRP-1200 from Circuit City for $349 and although it does have a warmer and deeper sound that I am looking for it's not nearly as articulate as the KSW-10 and almost seems a bit sloppy. It still does not fill the room with enough bass with music. I called the local Sound Advice (Tweeter) where I purchased the rest of my speakers at and they suggested the Polk PSW505b for $450. They said that's the best sub they have for under $500 and they did not have anything open box currently in that price range that would be any better.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? I'd rather not even spend $450 but if I'm going to have to in order to get a real good, full, punchy bass sound then I guess I will.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I think you should buy my KSW-12 for $250. I upgraded to the SVS PB12 Plus 2 from the KSW-12. The KSW-12 sounds great since it was my first sub. The KSW-12 was used for about 5 years. Not abused or driven too hard. Otherwise, my wife would kick me out of house. Obviously, the SVS is a major step up but we are always upgrading on some component or another. I live in San Dimas, CA. Where do you live?

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Polk's subs are crap, there are easily better subs for $500. How big is your room? I do think you'll need to step up to the $400-450 range though. Check out the SVS PB-10NSD, though I might actually recommend stepping up to a cylinder, the 25-31PCi.

The fact that he has a Tweeter means probably not in Ca.

ITistic

ITistic

Audiophyte
ptalar said:
I think you should buy my KSW-12 for $250. I upgraded to the SVS PB12 Plus 2 from the KSW-12. The KSW-12 sounds great since it was my first sub. The KSW-12 was used for about 5 years. Not abused or driven too hard. Otherwise, my wife would kick me out of house. Obviously, the SVS is a major step up but we are always upgrading on some component or another. I live in San Dimas, CA. Where do you live?

Phil
Hi Phil. I'm in Florida. By the time I ship it out here I might as well buy something new I think. Thanks for the opportunity, however.

j_garcia said:
Polk's subs are crap, there are easily better subs for $500. How big is your room? I do think you'll need to step up to the $400-450 range though. Check out the SVS PB-10NSD, though I might actually recommend stepping up to a cylinder, the 25-31PCi.

The fact that he has a Tweeter means probably not in Ca.
The room is not very large, approximately 19x19. A problem I have, however, is that there isn't any corners I can really put the sub in. With the KSW-10 and music if I'm standing close to it the sound is great. Step a few feet away, however, and the sound is horrible. Will that PB-10NSD really put out warm punchy bass seeing it's only a 10" driver? That's the first I've ever seen of a cylinder sub. Looks interesting. The page describes how they sound with movies. How about music?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
ITistic said:
Will that PB-10NSD really put out warm punchy bass seeing it's only a 10" driver? That's the first I've ever seen of a cylinder sub. Looks interesting. The page describes how they sound with movies. How about music?
Don't let the smaller driver fool you, the PB10 is plenty punchy, however 19x19 is a fairly sizeable room. At that size, if you want tight punch for music, the 25-31 would be worth stretching for... -TD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My room is 19x20 and I wouldn't call that too small, so you may need to look for a bigger sub (and that may be why your other subs don't cut the mustard either). SVS's recommendation for my room was actually to add another PB-10. As tomd51 mentioned, the 25-31PCi will give you more output than the PB-10, though at the expense of slightly less extension. The SVS subs are equally adept at music.

C

crazyhorse_aba

Enthusiast
can you add a second sub to any of those choices?

ITistic

ITistic

Audiophyte
Actually now that I've measured the room is 19x13, so a little smaller than 19x19. I could keep my Klipsch and add another sub to the mix, but I don't know how well that would work and I don't know how odd it may look with a subwoofer on each side of my entertainment center, especially when they don't match, haha.

Why do you mean by less extension?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
You can use more than one sub at at time in any setup, however there are some steps you'd have to perform to make sure they don't cancel each other out at certain frequencies and as you mentioned, ITistic, the aesthetics of two subs (as well as the size they'd take up) may be a consideration.

Honestly, I don't think you'd even need to integrate the KSW-10 with a PB10 or 25-31 PCi, they would likely overpower it and overcoming some of the placement/cancellation issues of two subs might not be worth it.

Extension is essentially how low the sub can reach without the THD becoming a substantial factor. The deeper the extension (lower Hz number for frequency response), the deeper/lower the bass you'll get... -TD

edit: The PB10 would likely be fine for a room that size, but a 25-31 PCi would be even better... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis