Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Hi there guys. I have a question about upgrading my current set-up. Here is what I have now:

Yamaha RX-V665
Infinity Reference 2000.4 Front L/R (Bought used)
Infinity SM Video CC (Bought used)
Infinity RS2 Surrounds
BIC F-12 Sub

I went to used route initially (noob here), and am looking to upgrade. Being that I have a sub, and am on a budget, I was thinking of jumping to bookshelves. With my current Infinity Center, I was hoping to upgrade to a pair of Infinity Primus P162 Bookshelves for my Front L/R. My question is, would I see a noticeable improvement over my current Reference 2000.4 towers? Additionally, how well do you think the P162s would mesh with the Infinity SM Video CC? Eventually I could upgrade to a new Primus CC, but at the moment would just like to upgrade my fronts (If its practical).

For reference, here are the manuals for the Reference 2000.4 and SM Video:

2000.4 - http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Owner's Manual/REF2000.4-2000.6 om.pdf

SM Video - http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Owner's Manual/SMvideo om.pdf

And lastly regarding the change to bookshelves, being that I already have a sub woofer, am I going to lose anything with bookshelves over towers? I know my 2000.4 fronts are old and out-dated, but I don't want to downgrade in any way.

Thanks guys,

Nick

Last edited:
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Bump, just trying to see if I the P162s will give me a noticeable improvement in sound quality over my current fronts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, I don't think they will give you a big jump in performance. They may sound a little better only because they use some newer technologies in the drivers and cabinets, but the Primus line is probably closer to a lateral move from what you have.

Since the 162s do go to a claimed 49Hz, you probably won't miss out on too much compared to the older towers.

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Okay thanks, I might hold off then until I can convince myself to make a significant step up :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis