Upgrading front speakers, a go to Klipsch set?

J

Jason Honingford

Audiophyte
The short --
Wanting:
L/R/Cener Klispch bookshelf sized speakers - is there a go to set?

Replacing:
Sony floor standing L/R and a Sony center.

Keeping:
Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 300W 12"
Onkyo 626 receiver

Sony bookshelf rears (for now)

The long ---
Any suggestions on a Klipsch set? I'd like to keep it under $1000. I need at least a starting point, something to add to my wishlist so I can pull the trigger on a sale. :) I'm happy with my Onkyo and Klipsch sub. My Sony speakers are actually decent for my starter system and will probably find a home in other rooms or for my parents.

I'd love some extra clarity. I'm not a purist audioholic as a lot of the music/movies is streaming on the receiver's "all speakers" mode but I fall in love when I get a good DTS/Dolby movie going! I'd like to pick something I'll keep for 10+ years.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
KL-650 THX are the model to get, although they're far outside your budget. They'll outpace that little sub, so start saving for that too. This model has been on the market for years, so you may find a used set, but even there they seem to hold their value to the point of exceeding your budget. But they're really nice and would probably keep you happy for many years.

The next step down KL-525 THX is just outside of your budget at full retail price, but you could possibly find those on sale, and certainly within budget if you find them on the used market.

The RP-160M are quite nice sounding, a bit more modest output capability, but still will bust your budget.

You might want to expand your options outside of Klipsch. Those 650's are really nice, but for that kind of dough you have other options. Subs, too, for that matter, where the Hsu, SVS, and other internet direct options will offer much greater value.

Last edited:
J

Jason Honingford

Audiophyte
That helps ski2xblack - I've got as my starting point the RP-150M matched with the RP-450C - that gives me all 5.25" - certainly a safe bet that I'd be more than happy with. I will take your advice and try to find some stores with other brands. I fell for the Klipsch at Best Buy awhile ago, of course all they had to compare was something like JBL, Polk, and Bose which are no better than my Sony set-up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis