Upgrading from RX-V677..

B

barkbomes9

Audiophyte
I’ve had the above for 6 years and I wanted to make the jump to 4k / HDR so stuck the receiver up for sale and someone left with it yesterday, happy days.
Kind of forgot I had it up for sale, so hadn’t done much research. I’m thinking an RX-V585 would be the appropriate replacement? Less ports but I didn’t use all of them previously, and I’m used to the whole Yamaha side of things.
Just wanted to check that the 585 wasn’t a horror story?https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl

Last edited:
S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I can't say about the specific receivers reliability as I do not have the experience with it. I can say in general Yamaha has a pretty solid reputation for reliability. With that being said I would check to see if all the features match your needs since from what I can tell you are stepping down one level (600 series to 500 series). It looks like the newer model for the 677 would be the 685 but then again cost and other factors will also play into the decision factor. If you want certain features like ATMOS you will may need to look at a higher tier like the Aventage RX-A1080.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The 500 series I believe won’t let you set speaker crossover independently like 600 series. (Was true on 581 vs 681 at least)

Think RXV683 is a pretty good deal right now on Amazon. (Double box it for shipping) The 683 and 685 are mostly the same other than the remote. :)

C

crocoyes6

Audiophyte
Can't say how it compares to the V677, but I have had the RX-V585 the past several months in 5.0.2 and have no horror stories to share - my only slight regrets are things known before purchase - it only supports 7 channels so I'll never be able to use it for a 7.x.2 or 5.x.4 setup, and it has the base YPAO for automatic speaker tuning, not the fancier version that their higher end receivers include (which try to compensate for reflections somehow too).

vidmate download

Nochbesser

Nochbesser

Audiophyte
Audio homework essays.agency
Hello,

Had my RXV677 for the past 2 years. And I'm considering the Emotiva brand now for the separates. My budget is $2k. Perhaps me-700 processor and the A-5175 amp.
Is this just a waste of money?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audio homework essays.agency
Hello,

Had my RXV677 for the past 2 years. And I'm considering the Emotiva brand now for the separates. My budget is $2k. Perhaps me-700 processor and the A-5175 amp.
Is this just a waste of money?
Why do you want separates? What is the avr not doing that you want the separates to do?

I

isabelltwo

Audiophyte
Upgrading from an RX-V675 to an RX-V677 thanks to the kind folks at Yamaha (warranty replacement). Wondering, after looking up the whole front presence thing, if I should move the rear surrounds to the front. I've been told before here that I'm better off removing the rear surrounds, should I move them forward, or am I better off with reorganizing my entire apartment living room? forpc.onl jiofi.local.html

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Upgrading from an RX-V675 to an RX-V677 thanks to the kind folks at Yamaha (warranty replacement). Wondering, after looking up the whole front presence thing, if I should move the rear surrounds to the front. I've been told before here that I'm better off removing the rear surrounds, should I move them forward, or am I better off with reorganizing my entire apartment living room?
A long while back I set up an avr so I could test that advice so set up both rear surrounds as well as front heights. I flipped back and forth between the two modes (it was only capable of 7ch, not 9, at a time) and preferred it with rear surrounds. YMMV, try both....and you could do temporary speaker setup so as to keep the reorganizing to a minimum....

Latest posts

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis